1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Jeff Buckley Fans?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Dec 7, 2006.

1. I'm a big Jeff fan. I think he has the most beautiful male voice i have ever heard. The way he presents songs is just magnificent. My favorite work of his is Live at Sin-E. I think he sounds the best here. I really love his cover of Just Like a Woman and Sweet Thing.

Any other fans? Which songs/albums do you like the most?

2. stitchbass

stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    Beckley was the man, his untimely death was such a great loss to music. One can only imagine what he could have achieved had he been with us longer! Just seeing a behind the scenes dvd that came with a Grace limited edition Cd i got, shows his enthusiasm for music. He is there playing double bass and getting involved in the string arragments, and just so into his art.

What a voice, I think Grace is probably my fav tune and my fav album by him as its his only real complete one! His live CD at Sine is also cool. Just to hear him and his guitar before he had made it in some cafe spilling his soul out with ripples of applause after each tune is a special thing to have on CD.

3. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    i think grace is one of the best and one of the most underrated albums i have ever heard. he had an amazing voice, was a pretty solid guitar player and a great songwriter. his other album was really good as wel, not the live at cafe sine but the oen to his love the drunk or whatever(too lazy to google). but yeah, if anyone reads this forum and hasnt heard the album "grace", i would go ahead and say it is a must buy.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I'm a bigger fan than you;) He was an incredible artist. Lover You Should Have Come Over is one of my favortie tunes. The live from Sin-E CD is incredible, I agree. I've got a huge collection of bootlegs and all are great. It's a shame he left so early. He had a lot of music left in him.

5. the other album (unfinished) is Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk.

I like Grace too, i do think it's underrated, but i like the intimacy of the Live album better.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am a fan of Jeff Buckley too. He is outside of my usual interests, but was an incredible singer. There was pretty good bass on the Grace album too. I really hate that he died so soon.:(

7. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I LOVE Grace. It is a brilliant album.

8. He was an amazing talent that was lost much too early. I really like his music...and here is my favorite youtube clip of one of my favorite songs by him ->

plus i think he was one of the top songwriters of his time, with songs like "lover you should have come over and grace" i really admire his skills :))

9. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    +1... Grace is amongst my all time favourite albums... Everything about it is beautiful and perfect... there's no other words to describe it...

RIP Jeff...

10. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Jeff was excellent! His father, Tim, was no slouch either.
    Not to quibble, but Jeff could really pick a song to cover (i.e. Hallelujah,and Lilac Wine.)
    Excellent live glimpse at Jeff on the youtube link!
    I guess there is a genetic component to musical talent.
    RD

11. tripb19

tripb19 Camel - Camel

Jun 18, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Any Jeff Buckley fans?

How about the whole of Australia!!!

On December 3rd, 2006 (that's right, last week), it was revealed by the ABC's "My Favourite Album", a project to find Australia's favourite album of all time, that Jeff Buckley's Grace was indeed the country's 2nd favourite album of all time! behind Dark Side of the Moon at #1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Favourite_Album#_note-0

http://abc.net.au/myfavouritealbum/

I adore it as well.

12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Grace is a wonderful album. I had never even heard of the dude until a few years ago, better late than never I suppose!

13. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    jeff buckley = amazing.

"lover, you should've come over," "so real," "hallelujah," "corpus christi carol (?)," "dream brother..." those are some of my absolute faves... that being said, all of "grace" is amazing.

as a matter of fact, i think.... yeah. i'm gonna put "grace" on now. :)

14. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    some of my favorite songs of his:

lover, you shouldve come over

what will you say

dream brother

i want someone badly

mojo pin

last good bye

my two favorites are his versions of hallelujiah and satisfied mind(amazing song!!)

15. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i must say: i think "dream brother" is my favorite jeff buckley song.

so haunting and beautiful...

listening to "grace" (the whole album), it's really cool how many different instruments are used... and the way they're used... phenomenal. like stings being played col legno (ie, struck with the wood of the bow), for example. and then there's the sitar-like sounds, vibes, tabla, and some of the most amazing and expressive guitar work ever. not to mention the overall production...

simply amazing.

16. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    He should have done so much more. I remember how amazed I was when I first heard the song Grace,and I still get goose bumps every time I listen to that song.
    My favourite Buckley songs are Last Goodbye,Grace,Dream Brother,Forget Her.

17. the man was from another world. heavenly voice, beautiful guitar work, great tone, incredible songs, and amazing arrangements and production. grace is in a class by itself. i can almost still be brought to tears listening to his version of 'hallelujah' even though i've heard it many many times.

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I love Jeff Buckley's music. My last year of high school a guitar player friend lent me Grace and described Buckley as Plant and Page in one man. Not entirely accurate, but his cover of Night Flight shows that Zep was certainly an influence among many others.

I'm probably responsible for the sale of a least a hundred copies of Grace since I was always playing it for people in college. I was knee deep in finals when he died and I didn't hear about it until two weeks afterward.

My band does covers of Dream Brother and an acoustic/piano version of Lover, You Should've Come Over.

I can see why Jeff was unhappy with "My Sweetheart the Drunk". Still, I really like New Year's Prayer and his cover of Yard of Blonde Girls from that album.

As much as I liked Jeff, I felt like his voice was this incredible instrument that he was still learning to use. You can hear the vocal miscues and unnecessary histrionics on Sin-e and to a lesser extent on Grace. I really thought that his 2nd (and probably most of all 3rd) albums would have been absolutely incredible when he learned to put it all together.

19. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    big fan???

HERE I AM...
    I'm still crying for his death...

20. Been said, but true. Grace is one of the best albums of all time, no question.