Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any 'Jesus music' fans?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, Jun 22, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

NOTE: This is not a religion thread, it is about early 70's christian music.

Anybody into bands like 2nd Chapter of Acts, JC Power Outlet, Love Song, and singers like Larry Norman, Randy Matthews, Chuck Girard, Evie, Honeytree, Randy Stonehill, etc?

There was some pretty cool stuff recorded in the early and mid seventies, but a lot of it is impossible to find.

Anybody else into this stuff?

2. Does Norman Greenbaum count? I have his greatest hits and its pretty good.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Never heard it.

I listen to some of the more recent stuff though - anywhere from DC Talk to Skillet to Day of Fire to a whole lotta other stuff.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My Band actually oppened for Love Song, and yes I have the original vinyl. Must admit though the production was sorely lacking on that early era, until Michael Omartian produced that first second chapter of Acts. Do you remember Agape, kinda of Jimmy Hendricks meets the gospel? My parents wouldn't let me listen to any secular music until about 73, by then I was actually sneaking out and catching Led Zeplen live. Most people in my church were pretty sure Christian rock was of the Devil!

5. embellisher

Yep, Norman Greenbaum's christian stuff counts.

burk, I hear you on the production. A lot of the early Jesus music stuff was very poorly produced.

I also got you on the whole 'christian rock' thing. My brother bought one of Larry Norman's LPs in the early 70's and my Dad had a cow. Of course, he was really upset a couple of years later when my brother got into ELP, Kiss, and Peter Frampton.:D

A lot of the 'older generation' thinks that I am going to hell for playing with a guitarist who uses distortion!

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have a Larry Norman cd. Don't listen to it very much. He finally got his hand fixed after that accident a few years back...

7. boy, that brings back memories..
    I have a couple (vinyl) 2nd Chapter of Acts.
    Chuck Girard,, yeah,, nice stuff...
    Wasn't that struck on Wayne Watson,,

How about Holms, Shephard and Johnson??

Don't forget the Imperials either!!

I still listen to that stuff once in awhile,,, gonna have to get it to digital before the old Turntable gives up too!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I played a regular house gig, every Sunday night the Summer of '82, with a Contemporary Christian Rock/Blues/Funk/Country band.
    It was a 'pickup band' comprised of players that had regular gigs(i.e 'secular') during the week. All were Born Again-types...all except for me. ;)

I recall doing originals + stuff by Amy Grant("Walking Away With You"...kinda Toto-ish, IIRC), Russ Taft(Nathan East on bass), Phil Keaggy, etc.
    One tune I liked playing was called "Why Would The Father Bother(To Call Us His Children)"? by Petra? or sumthin like that.

Michael Omartian, a very happenin' keyboardist, also had albums out at that time.

Back then there was this other Contemp Christian band called Isaac. I'm not sure whether they were a local or regional act. They were mind blowing...kinda like EW&F with Jazz soloists.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There was this Christian Metal band called "Bride" and my friend had one of their CDs and they had a song called "Psycedellic Super Jesus" it's just... wow. Not a bad song really.

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Any of you guys remember "How the West was won" with 2nd chapter of acts and Phil Keaggy. That band kicked! No idea who played bass on that one. Another one was Sweet Comfort band, a little later. And does anyone here remember Seawind the only Christian fusion group with vocals I ever heard! They had an excellent bass player, can't recall his name, there horn section still does a lot of studio dates,

11. embellisher

The How the west was One featured 'A band called David' which had Richard Souther on the keyboards, Gene Gunnells on the drums, and on the bass, Herb Melton.

There are some happening bass and drum parts on that album. The drum fills on Which way the wind blows just kill me.

That album is available on CD at the 2nd Chapter of Acts website. It is on my purchase list. I have it on vinyl, but don't have a phono preamp, so I can't use my turntable.

I wish some of the other stuff was available on CD. I would love to get a couple of Honeytree's albums, the original Love Song album, and the Randy Matthews album that had Sunny Day on it. Oh, and the B.J. Thomas album Home where I belong.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I think I have two of their albums; don't believe the ones I have were marketed as "Christian" music, though.
    The Seawind Horns were big(Larry Williams, Jerry Hey, Bill Reichenbach)...about as busy in the session game as the TOP horn section.

13. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    My colleague here at work is very much into that stuff.
    When the iTunes music store recently opened here in Norway, he was happy to find a lot of it there. After the weekend, however, he said that now he was spending way too much money on buying Jesus-music on the iTMS....

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've not got a huge amount in my collection - just a few samples, like some early Resurrection Band stuff and the Keith Green collection.

From my perspective (catching up with it all ten years late and, even then, not having the finances to collect much) the most notable contributer was Larry Norman. I loved his stuff - lyrically, it seemed to mix cynicism and faith into a potent mixture, while the musical styles he covered met me from my starting point (blues influenced heavy rock) and helped take me further.

Wulf

15. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    At the risk of de-railing the thread-
    I'd say my favorite "Praise Jesus" music from the
    early and mid-Seventies was by Black Sabbath!

16. I'm a Christian. But I do not like Christian music. I just think it's horrible, it's sounds so poser'esque these days. I like a few artists.

17. Man , this brings back some memories for me, also. "How the West was One" was one of my favorite recordings. I had it on cassette. Love Song was great. Second Chapter, Keith Green, Sweet Comfort (my favorite), Resurrection Band, Allies (maybe a little later, actually).

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I still have the original DECCA LP release of "Glass Harp". Poor Phil Keaggy, I feel his talent has been largely misused. His songwriting and guitar playing is unbelievable, but lyrically he's all too often trite and ridiculous, particularly in the early years. "What a Day", oh boy, the lyrics are so corny and dumb, and the guitar/music is so brilliant! Makes it hard to listen to. But then again I could listen to "Play Through Me", "Town To Town", and "Sunday's Child" all day long. I've learned to tune out the lyrics. His masterpiece is "The Master and the Musician", perhaps the most perfect record ever made.

My high school band covered "Time". Pretty ambitious (to say the least - a more appropriate word might be stupid). It's probablya good thing that I don't have a recording of us trying to play it.

I used to love Resurrection Band, their early albums had some interesting stuff on them. Sweet Comfort Band's "Perfect Timing" was neat - kind of Kansas-ish. Speaking of Kansas, how about Kerry Livgren's "Seeds of Change". Ronnie James Dio singing "Jesus Music" - quite interesting.

I saw Larry Norman live (I know some of you must be jealous of that!) in about 1983/4 at Eastern Menonite University in Harrisonburg, VA. One of the most memorable concert performances of my life. My brother and I and a couple of his friends drove 3 hours to go to the show. We hung around afterwards, then Larry and about 20-30 of us all went to Denny's for a very long late night breakfast in Harrisonburg.

BTW, you know Larry Norman is borderline insane, right? He was also a brilliant songwriter in his day. I remember trying to track down those old Capitol and MGM records.

I saw DeGarmo & Key Band live in about 1978, their first few albums have some really good stuff on them.

Remember Daniel Amos? "Horrendous Disc" what a masterpiece.
    I pretty much agree. In the 70s and early 80s it was a novelty, but by the mid-80s it turned out to be just the same corporate crap with "Jesus" stamped on the lyric sheets for the most part. With some notable exceptions of course.

How the whole "Christian Music" scene handled Bruce Cockburn and Sam (formerly Leslie) Phillips pretty much sealed it for me that it was mostly just the same fake corporate bull$hit with the words "praise Jesus" stamped on the front.

It's not like it once was. But the great artists like Randy Stonehill are still out there doing their thing.

Mark Heard was pretty amazing, also.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    BTW thanks, Jeff, for the trip down Memory Lane. :)

20. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm not up on all the details, although I know he's suffered a severe accident, has an almost terminal heart condition and has gone through at least one traumatic relationship breakdown. I think he's a genius and it wouldn't suprise me in the least to find he's a bit of an oddball to hang with but kudos to him for taking the knocks and continuing to get back up and press on!
    I was also interested in OiBass's comment:
    I must have missed that phase in their career :rolleyes: ... I'd love to hear what you mean. Seriously - was it a cheap quip or did I miss something? BTW, have you heard any of the artists mentioned here? Although I guess some of it could be called "Praise Jesus" music there's a lot that doesn't rely on its Jesus-per-minute quotient for effect even though the songs are generally exploring a wide variety of themes from an unequivocally Christian standpoint.

Wulf