Any Joe Maneri fans?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Against Will, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

I heard Joe Maneri's version of Peter Dolger's "Paniots Nine" on the movie American Splendour. I heard about Mr. Maneri from watching the commentary track (which has a few good tidbits on good (unfortunately, usually rare) jazz groups and albums). I've looked into him a bit and it seems that a good deal of his discography is not much like Paniots Nine (which seems like it's going to be a hard album to obtain). I was wondering if anyone here is a fan/knows a bit about Mr. Maneri and might be able to suggest a good place to start with him.

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I suggest you check out

The "Speakeasy" is their Bullentin Board.
    There's a few fans of 'the round, fat man' over there; I think some would even fall on their sword for the guy.

Of course, there were as many detractors, too!
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You might have better luck over in the DB forums.

Here's Joe's web site:

"Paniots Nine" was last issued on the Avant label which I believe is now defunct.

I saw him live once (he doesn't perform very often) and it was fascinating although I'm not sure I understood what he was trying to do :cool: I have a few of his recordings on the ECM and Leo labels and they are out there to say the least.
  4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I was thinking DB might have more responses, but I thought I'd try here before venturing to the other side of the bridge.