Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any John Cowan fans here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Anyone here likes him too? I just discovered him when I bought Bela Fleck and the Flecktones Live Art. His song, Oh darling is amazing! His vocals are outstanding. I've listened to his solo stuff now, and its really good. Anybody else like him?

2. tricialane

tricialane

May 15, 2006
    Hey B8ssMan89!

Yes, I am huge Cowan fan as well! He is amazing...make sure you check out his new album, New Tattoo!! What a wonderful artist. If you can get out there, the Cow is playing at Camperfest near Knoxville on May 27th. Check out these other message boards on the COW: johncowan.com and riverrunner.info. Both great outlets for Cowan.

cheers!

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I first discovered him w/ New Grass Revival way back when. I was already a fan, and then my band got to open for them in Phoenix AZ. I spent half my paycheck on NGR merch and went around for weeks after that saying they were the best band in the world! Gotta admit I haven't heard John's solo stuff - yet!

4. tricialane

tricialane

May 15, 2006
    Oh, you have to hear the new album, New Tattoo! If you love NGR, you will definitely love his new stuff. There are a few good reviews of the new album posted at riverrunner.info along with some links to check out his the COW's live performance at MerleFest 2006. I see that you are in Frederick, MD...if that is anywhere close to Annapolis, you should definitely pay the COW at visit, he is playing at Ram's Head on the 11th!
    I can't wait to hear what you think.

cheers,
    T

riverrunner.info

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm a fan of sorts, I really do love his playing and singing but I'm not always that crazy about his choice of material.

Saw him at Merlefest last month where he did a cover of "Higher Ground"...two years ago at Merlefest he sang "Dazed and Confused" with John Paul Jones himself sitting in on bass :help:

Fascinating guy to be sure :cool:

6. tricialane

tricialane

May 15, 2006
    Hey Brian,
    Yea...he is a pretty fascinating and talented guy if you ask me. His new album New Tattoo is really incredible! If you saw him at MerleFest this year you probably already heard some of it...check out mvy.com. You can hear sections of his performance there this year. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/colors/smile.gif

7. tricialane

tricialane

May 15, 2006
    Did of you guys get to see Cowan when he played a free show at Tower Records in Nashville? It was amazing!! For an in-store performance I was pretty impressed. Usually they are somewhat calm b/c u are standing in the middle of a record store on a weekday afternoon but they really brought it home.
    I am going to post some photos from the show on the message board at riverrunner.info so make sure to check them out.

:bassist:

8. Yeah, I was pleasantly suprised when I noticed him in Flecktones Live Art. You gotta check out his own stuff, it's pretty cool!

9. tricialane

tricialane

May 15, 2006
    Yea, its funny...when I saw COW live, I actually began to love his music even more! It made such an impact on me. Not to mention, all the work he is doing with Safe Place makes me admire him so much.