1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any John Deacon (Queen) fans getting his sound with a Gallien Krueger rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunder Pulse, May 9, 2010.

1. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    His tone certainly sounds more like flatwounds, but there are several threads here where people have said he used rounds. He also used different basses over the years, but primarily a P-bass.

If anyone here is using a GK rig with a P-bass to get a sound like his, please discuss your amp settings in detail. I have a 400RB and 2x12 Neo cab, and it's a great setup for Geddy Lee and Chris Squire sounds, but I'd like to know what kind of settings to use for a much more mellow sound. I've got a new set of flats I'm going to put on a G&L SB-2 here shortly and would like to get close to his sound if I could.

2. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    Oddly enough, I play in a Queen cover band using a 400RB, SWR 212, and my MIJ precision. Flats definitely help get his studio sound, (I find rolling off the tone knob on my bass helps too) but lately I am going more for his live sound which was much growlier with rounds.

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Hey thanks. Yeah, his live sound from what I've seen on Youtube was a bit more edgy. I'm more focused on his studio sound. Can you remember what EQ settings you used on your 400RB for that sound?

4. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Flats for 1st half of his career, by 80-ish Roto rounds. Acoustic 360 pre/cabs, later Acoustic pre with diff cabs:

Here's some great stuff with a Ray from '77 at Earl's Court:

5. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Thanks, but I'm only interested in GK rig users and their settings.

6. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I'm a Queen fan; I also like Yes. Whenever I listen to their music itÂ’s the tightness of everything with phenomenal vocals and cohesion of the individual musicians that impresses me.

I hear a lot on here bassists want to emulate so-in-so's tone. It is almost an obsession.

Once you have the type of bass and the strings; more importantly it's the touch of the fingers to the strings that determines the tone.

Here's what I recommend. Build a quality
    bass rig. One that can make good music. Then for each individual venue tweak the controls until the bass lines fit with the sound of the rest of the band.

You won't sound the same in the studio, or practice as live...

Anyway, I can hear my AMPEG in those videos. But I'm pretty sure I could make a lot of other amps sound very good in the mix.

When you fit in the mix well the bass could almost sound like a buzzsaw and still sound good. A prime example is Entwhistle. Buzzsaw. But made great music.

SO what I am saying, you can't buy making music in a store, it comes with mixing well with others. Be your own musician.

BOB

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Bob states the truth... :meh:

It's been said thousands of times - it'll be said thousands of times more: Your tone is in your fingers.

What does that mean? It means that while good gear is very important, it's ultimately just a foundation for your tone. You get the rest of the way there with your own distinct touch and technique.

Ever listen to Vic Wooten? Or Pino Palladino? Or Robert Trujillo, for that matter? Ever notice how, regardless of what gear they're playing, each one still has his own distinct sound?

That's because each has developed his own unique playing style to such a high degree, that it transcends his gear. That's why noobs who go out to buy their bass hero's signature rig, in an effort to sound just like him, are so often disappointed. Because they don't have the same distinct playing style as their hero.

My (unsolicited) advice: Focus on developing your own distinct voice on the instrument. Then the noobs will be trying (fruitlessly) to mimic your sound...

MM

8. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Bob, I'm aware of everything you said. Maybe I should have been more clear in my first post. The GK 400RB is new to me (it's a late 80's or early 90's model); I'm still learning to use its EQ and Boost control. The reason I titled this thread the way I did is because I was hoping to find someone who gets a P-bass with flats sound using a GK rig with a P-bass with flats so they could share some of their EQ settings. Maybe I should have left Deacon out of it, but he's one of the first guys I think of when I think about a thick, smooth sound.

9. John Deacon was so brilliant in terms of note-choice, and rhythmic restraint, that it's probably more down to musicianship than it is actual sound. His sound -- to my ear, at least -- was fairly bread-and-butter. Very p-bassy.

10. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    But they also have whatever gear they're playing through set up to get the tone they want. Using Bob's reference to Chris Squire and Entwistle - John Deacon couldn't play through their rigs with their settings and with their basses and get the tone in the 2 clips I linked to above.

This thread is more about the GK rig than me trying to cops someone's sound.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I take your point... :meh:

MM

12. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    Are you playing Queen songs, or just want your sound for your stuff to be similar to Deacy's? If your doing Queen covers, it really is all about the playing. A solid P-Bass, with a fairly transparent amp should serve as the foundation, but from there it's all about the playing. John Deacon is a genius in his choice of notes, everything is for the good of the song.

13. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    I'm only interested in getting a Deacon-like sound with the gear mentioned in the first post.

14. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd say mostly just roll off the highs, otherwise keep the amp flat. I wouldn't use too much (if any) boost or contour. Probably roll off your tone knob like 7/8 of the way or so- find that sweet spot. His studio tone sounds very straightforward p-bass to me, so I doubt you'll need some radical EQ to get close. Again, your fingers are your best tool, but hopefully this will help you on your quest.

15. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    I use an MXR M-80 in front of my 400RB, with the color switch engaged and the mids boosted to compensate for the scoop. I also have the mids boosted on the amp itself, and I'll make any minor adjustments depending on the room.

16. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I play a 700rbII with a GK Neo 112 and a 212. 90% of the time I'm banging on a P with flats. Here is what I recommend.....

I use the vol (pregain) to set my volume, but only up until about 11:00.... past that, and the pre starts to clip. EQ-wise, I run, as of late, with the bass and treble at about 11:00, and the mids at noon. I use contour and presence for the room. Master is usually at noon or higher. Boost is at 2-3:00. I come down own the boost as I come up on the master.

I usually run an EBS Multicomp ahead of the head, and use the gain like you would on an input gain equipped head. Lately, I've been using a VT pedal. I love the VT with my P, but I'm not sold on it yet with my roundwound strung Jazz.

17. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Thanks ljazz. Regarding the mids, do you have the low-mids and hi-mids both set at noon?

18. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    sorry about the delay.....

yes, both at noon. I usually run with the 5 string button on.... but I play in a three pc, so there is a little more room to fill. Add keys and another guitar, and I'd probably run with it in 4 string.