Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any Joni Mitchell fans around?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Jul 4, 2002.

1. i just revisited the album "blue" today, i don't get to listen to it a lot because my copy is vinyl and i don't own a 'table.

now, it's a rare, rare, occasion when i call a song "transcendant." but that's exactly how i'd describe almost every song on "blue." it's just mindblowing. joni is a very gifted songwriter musically, and her lyrics are poetic. not generic coffee-shop poetic, but genuine and refreshing and heartfelt, not a single line seems forced. if you haven't heard this yet, do so by any means necessary.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Got Hejira to listen to Jaco, but soon became a Joni fan.
    Doc

3. when i was 5 my mom put on miles of ailes, 2 hours later, i was a joni mitchell fan

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I have Hejira, Don Juan, Mingus, and Shadows and Light.

5. yes joni fan here, shes a great song writer.

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    I must say I like Hejira for Jacos playing but I think court and spark is a far better album, theres not one bad track on the whole thing...great lyrics, great music and wonderful melodies.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that Joni is undoubtedly one of the best songwriters ever and a great musician/singer. I have all teh albums with Jaco (of course!) but also like Court & Spark and Hissing of Summer Lawns.

Her albums are rare examples where you get great musicianship as well as meaningful lyrics that repay close scrutiny.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce said it all for me...I agree 100%.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've always loved Joni.....one of our biggest musical treasures! On the Hissing of Summer Lawns, she beat Paul Simon by ten years in the use of African grooves.

10. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I'd have to say she is the greatest living female musician. And the best export from Canada since Molson Golden! I have to third the comments regarding "Court and Spark"...that album will suck you in! No Jaco, but it has its own unique "vibe" that you don't really find in albums these days. I get chills whenever I hear that vocal line to "Help Me"...

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Mingus said "...she's got balls".
    Is there higher praise than that?!

12. I love Joni Mitchell. I believe she is truly the greatest female artist of all time (sorry Ella). I own Shadows and Light, Blue, Hissing of Summer Lawns and Mingus.

13. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    i love Joni's music and how she expresses herself with her voice. i love the jazz and many other forms of music that are within the fabric of her songs.

As an artist i am not a fan of her graphic art. Her non musical art is no where near the quality of her music, at least what I have seen of her work.

I greatly admire the seriousness with which she approaches all of her work and believe she is a Great artist in the musical world. (i think her song about being treated poorly by some "art group" exposes the phony part of the "Art World"). And appreciate the value of her paintings and water colors even though IMHO it just does not compare in quality. If she had been a student of a great teacher and absorbed the qualities of great Art, she could have been better. There is just no "Jazz" in her visual works.

I am totally a lousy bass player, by the way and do not make a living from my art.:)

14. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Don Juan and Shadows are my favorites.

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well this ol' thread deserves bumping.

I've been listening to an awful lot of Joni lately, and I echo all the comments in this thread :cool:

I've got her first nine albums - Song To A Seagull, Clouds, Ladies Of The Canyon, Blue, For The Roses, Court & Spark, The Hissing Of Summer Lawns, Hejira, and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter.

This really is some of the best songwriting I've ever heard. She's got a unique style, great melodies, chord sequences, arrangements, and she's got a killer voice.

And, to think that she thought she'd finished Hejira before Jaco came along. I mean, that is a great album (my favourite, of the ones I have) - just for the songs themselves. Imagine having an album like that under your belt, and *then* being turned onto Jaco and having him come and overdub those incredible bass lines onto four of the songs.

16. I have Ladies of the Canyon; very good album. Very talented singer songwriter.

The stuff with Jaco sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out ;)

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah same here....I picked up hejira for 2 bucks used vinyl...listened for jaco, but then realized the awesomeness of all the songs, and the singing. Later I got "don juan's reckless daughter" It is still one of my all time favorite albums.