Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Judokas Out There?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm taking my older daughter to our first Judo class tomorrow night. We're both pretty excited. Anyone out there practice Judo? If so, what are your thoughts about it?

In the past I've studied a few different striking-style Martial Arts systems, and a bit of Aikido, but I always just go back to my heavy bag and work on my Boxing drills.

My daughter is kind of mild mannered and I'm hoping getting her into the sport of Judo will help her develop more self confidence and hopefully along the way, she'll learn some self defense skills.

-Art

2. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

She should definitely benefit in both fitness and self-confidence.

My brother used to get beat up on a fairly regular basis by a couple of the neighbourhood bullies until my dad had him start judo training.

Just support her and try to get her to be patient about learning all the fancy throws. The first thing to get good at is the falling skills.

3. I'd say judo is a great sport, but it's not a great self-defence sport.

It's disciplined, a bit technical, good fun, and social. You won't fight you way out of a brawl with it most of the time, try jiu jitsu for that, but it's fun, everybody can do it, and it will build confidence.

I don't think it's a good thing to learn kids to kick the **** out of someone(I know it's not the point or the meaning of karate en tae kwondo(SP?) but you're really giving them the tools to do so) but judo will keep it civilized while learning usefull things.

And if I hand't had my falling technique from judo I'd have a lot more bruises overall, and I never broke a bone in my life, I could've if I didn't know how to fall properly

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    While burly guys may dispute one's judo skills, nobody ever argued with a 12 gauge. :smug:

Kidding. Martials arts are a good workout that also instill confidence in people that they can do anything (and not just fighting, but achieving).

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

My daughter was too tired after school so, we'll have start Judo on next Saturday's class. My wife and younger daughter are also interested, so it looks like Judo might become a family activity!

-Art

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I played Judo for a long time. I think it's probably one of the best forms of self defense you can play with. If you've ever seen a real street fight..or ultimate fighting challenge you'll see that it goes to the ground work pretty fast and thats where Judo really shines.

You can go pretty hard at it and not have to worry about the possibility of seriously hurting anyone.

Cops use it....I used it frequently in the back of my ambulance to control a situation without injuring anyone...you can exert an enormouse amount of control and cause an enormouse amount of pain without leaving a mark...

You can't clear out an entire bar using Judo but...when was the last time you had to fight more than one person at a time? Thats a job for guns or running shoes.

The best thing about Judo...you can be in lousy shape and still use it effectively.

When I was 25...I could have kicked you on top of your head. Now that I'm 46, I'd be lucky to kick you in the ankle but my Judo still works fine.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I hear you on the loss of flexibility! When I was a kid I could kick like an NFL Punter. I'm 42 now, -I'm pretty good up to knee level! :p

At my age, my new philosophy is to avoid or run! :D

I work with a retired policeman; when I asked him what Martial Arts style would be suitable for a female, he instantly said Judo, -and he said that it was also very good for pudgy middle-aged guys! -Sounds like a perfect fit for me.

The gym I'll be going to for Judo also trains local NHB/UFC hopefuls. They have Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Boxing Instructors there too. I love Boxing, so having the option to work on my Boxing with a good trainer sounds like fun.

I guess I'm going through my mid-life crisis! ;)

8. I only did one SPORTS SEASON of it (its offered as a varsity sport in Kent, WA--which was the first school distric in the US to offer it, 1955 I believe), but I loved it. When we started throwing (after learning to fall), I got thrown around so much. Even the seasoned, but less experienced, much lighter girls were owning me. And by the end, the girls who went into it as beginners were fierce.

The thing is...its FUN to be thrown (granted your opponent knows what he/she is doing). I also love the acrobatics we did at the start of practice. It's funny to think of myself (220lbs...I'm toned, but I have a gut) doing cartwheels into back handstand-saults, and all the falls, but I do/did them.

Good luck.