Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any kayakers here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 24, 2002.

1. I'm not an outdoorsy type, i mean, i don't spend my entire life out there. But we (meaning my family) just got a kayak. A Ocean Mist Freanzy to be specific. it's a good all purpose kayak, and can go easily from ocean to lake. I get the feeling though i won't be seeing guitar center for a looooooooooong time. So, do we have anyother kayakers?

2. FF. Cool, those things are really fun. I don't own one but I will occasionaly rent one to do something different from my usual surfing. I rented one about a month ago to do some free diving and shark watching at La Jolla Shores/Cove. Get out there and enjoy the out of doors. Ever hear of a dude named Peter Pan? He's a true legend, I think he lives in RI or Maine. He's total water nut. He surfs and kayaks year round back there. Have fun!!!

3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Hells yea! I love paddling. I'm more into the white water thing though. I have an old perception. Getting ready to upgrade to a smaller boat. If you like sea, and still-water paddling, you need to get out on some rapids. That's where it's at. I accually live on a river, so can go out everyday if I'm motivated enough.:D Freaky, you should convince your family to take you down here if you stay interested. Some of the best paddling in the country, on the New river in particular. Good thread.

4. 6-stringer, When we have more kayaks, my family and i said we'll take a trip to a good kayaking spot! I mostly live out on the lake, but it can be pretty crowded in the water, so the rapids i get is from the speed boats. I mostly ride the wake if i wanna get bumpy, but i can ride it out to the ocean if i want to.

FTB: i've never heard of a guy named Peter Pan here in RI, but i will keep an eye out for him

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    http://www.nps.gov/neri/whitewater.htm

Check this out. The new river gorge area is one of the most beautiful, pristine places you will find. There are plenty of licensed guides down there, and lots of stuff for your folks to do. If you go on bridge day, you can watch the lunatics base jump from the bridge in the morning, and spend the rest of the day boating a world-class river that ranges from class 1-6, fishing or whatever. It's probaby about 10 hours driving from RI.

6. I used to, when I was a kid. I used to be part of a paddling club every summer from when I was 10 to when I was 15. It was flatwater kayaking, on lakes, and we raced. And it wasn't like whitewater or ocean kayaks either, they were long skinny boats that went fast but were unstable as hell until you got your balance. They also had 2 and 4 person kayaks. I raced kayaks for a few years, but then lost interest and started racing canoes, which again, are not like regular canoes. You kneel on one knee and they were long and pointy. They also came in 1, 2, 4, and 15 person boats. I'll try to find some pictures of them. Man, those were some fun summers.

7. FF, If your planning on doing any surf or river kayaking wear a helmet!!!!
    There's this guy that is almost aways out in the surf where I go surfing, he wears a full on football helmet..He looks kind of funky, but I have seen him get hit by many set wave's that kept him nailed to the bottom ,,on his head.. and the bottom isn't sand either!

8. I've done white water and I've done ocean in a kayak, but NOTHING beats the simple thrill of hitting a class V in a raft. Utter terror followed by moments of panic, then fear, then panic again, then some more fear, another small bit of panic, a tad bit if hysteria, and then the let down as the adrenaline wears off.:D

Rock on
    Eric

9. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    In my part of the world, it isn't the white water that we fear. It's the sweepers and deadfall.

10. Ahh, yes, I forgot the broken bones and facial scratches.:D

Rock on
    Eric

11. I'm a canoe'er. One of the many nice things about living in the upper-midwest is being close to the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area in northern Minnesota. I used to go up there quite a lot in my younger days. There's nothing like a moose walking through your camp while your having morning coffee.