Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Ken Bebensee Owners ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEVILMAN, May 13, 2002.

1. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Greetings & Felicitations,

Does anyone possess or have played any of Ken Bebensee basses? He uses some pretty exotic woods & electronics and I wondered how they fare against Fodera, Carl Thompson, Elrick, etc...

SINcerely,
    El Diablo

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm sure big wheel and dan schoultz will be poking their heads in here soon. wheel had one but sold it. dan still has his...a sweet ass single cut. i've never played one, but ken is an awesome guy to deal with. i was going to place an order with him a couple years ago, but i didn't want to wait longer than a year. robert hurst with the tonight show (jay leno) owns a couple of these basses, so you can hear them on tv.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    this one totally caught my eye and im working on maybe owning it- but i havent heard it so we are talking about a trial period- its a most beautiful bass, tho- totally classy and well designed
    [​IMG]

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Neptoon,

Congratulations & goodluck on your 2nd arrival (boy or girl ?) and cool score from the wife !

Adrian,

Thanks for posting the pic ! I was really wondering how Ken's basses sounded compared to Fodera's ? I'm hot for a 6 and have been seriously considering both companies. Though, Fodera is more $$$ there is a shorter wait, plus the fact of the woods that each luthier favor ??? I have played an Emperor 2 & it was brutal but I still want to check out other companies for my quest in tone, It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase...

later,
    Satan

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Satan- youre scaring me- im a nice Christian boy!
    by the way- i am doing a trial trade out and guess what im trading, if i really love the bebensee? - a Fodera-
    now, i love the fodera, but i am going full time 6 and the monarch is a 5- i will have that bebensee here tomorrow so i can speak more wisely about a bebensee/fodera comparison- ill post soon- peace, A.

6. Ya, we gathered that, we know... We all know! Hahaha! :D
    Anyway, that bass looks like a nice peice of furnature, in a good way. But don't you think some of the more ornate features would compromise playing comfort? Also the body's cut away looks like it blocks the lower frets... Other then that, it looks like a nice sounding bass.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Bigfeet- how are you?
    the bass has a ton of feature like led's and such- the lower cutaway is actually as good as most basses-- the reason it looks like it doeant have access to the top frets is because the bass extends past the 2 octave range- but for 2 octaves, its just fine- i am eager to hear it- i just love the way the body is designed- some of kens basses are a little less than appealing to me, but this one is a beautiful piece- truly one of a kind

8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey Satan,
    You should give Ken a call to talk about the bass you want. When I had this bass built I emailed, called and went out to Ken's shop two times. All talking about the bass. He was VERY open to my ideas and built the bass just the way I asked him to. Sound wise was incredible! Huge sound. When I was rehearsing, I wouldn't have to plug the bass into an amp. It was so loud acoustically, I didn't need an amp to hear it. Check it out.....

http://www.kbguitars.com/sch/d.html

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yo Adrian,

Keep us up to date on that one! I've spend long hours debating with my wife over why I need to go buy another bass. I've finally won, and come to the conclusion that I NEED a 6'er! Yup, from 4 strings to 6.

These basses are priced nicer than Elricks and MTD's, but if they're as good as I'm hoping...well...;)

10. I'm doing well, can't complain... I think the extended octave ranges are a bit useless, true it's fun but not very useful IMO. I think some of his works are a bit unusual and I would never shell out the price for one. But if you want atractive basses I suggest Jerzy Drozd, these are some of the more beautiful basses I've seen. http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    hi dan- youre bass is sort of a sister bass to george travianis- which is the one im checking out- im glad to hear what you are saying abut the tone- the sereph is surely very beautiful,, the sound is my only concern- i guess ill find out- but hearing you say they sound great is certainly encouraging-

12. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yea, the bass is just a single cut version of George's bass. The only difference in the two is the body woods. George used Bubinga and purpleheart for the body. I used Western Cherry and bubinga. I remember Ken saying that there was some difference in the sound of the two basses. But I use a totally different pickup/preamp configuration. I'm sure the wood made some difference as well.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I think the Seraph bass (pictured previously) is beautiful. Look at the carving of the back:
    [​IMG]

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    and it will be here by 10 am!!:D

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I always liked this bass... except for the cojones.

Adrian, if the trade doesn't work out, let's talk about your Fodera. Didn't think it was potentially on the block.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    spur of the moment gas attack, Brad- i had been talking about doing something with another friend in Fl- but this came up- i thought about you, too- but tfelt funyy approaching you about it - i just think i need to go all 6- my fingers hate it when i switch up on them too much- i will keep you posted-
    ps- the cojones by the tail piece? i know- thats kinda out- but we'll see-

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Looks like it would be easy to neuter that bass;)

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    dont think i havent thought about that, Brad:eek:

19. Adrian - how do you expect the KB to be different from your MTD?

Jeff

20. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Adrian,

Why do you want to alter such beauty? Leave it be...

Bigfoot,
    I have already looked into Drozd bass' & I like them BUT he is in Spain! After dealing with my bands labels over-seas, I don't think I want the aggravation of a custom bass being built for me to consume my sparse time & patience, thanks anyway!

Adrian,
    Your suspense is KILLING me!

Dan S,
    Your bass is THE reason I am interested in Ken's work! Gourgeous piece!!! What electronics do you have & how do you like the neck woods (sustain, punch, stiffness, etc...) compared to say maple? Oh 1 more thing, what's the string spacing @ the nut & bridge?

Boy, I'm regretting starting this thread already, now everyone's going to want one!!! Hades help me...

SINcerely,
    EL Diablo