any Ken Benbessee owners out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim T., Nov 21, 2001.

1. If you've had bass(es) built by Ken Benbessee I'd like to hear of your experiences with him. Any pictures? If you like DP basses you'll probably like these.

Is KB easy to communicate with long distance to get what you want? Were his promised delivery dates pretty accurate? Do you like your instrument? Thanks.
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmm...well, i dont own a bebensee bass, but i was about to order one from him. the only thing that turned me off to having him build me one was the fact that the build time was nearly 2 years. what impressed me most was the fact that when i called him on the phone, someone answered in a polite voice, "hi, this is ken." and anytime you call there, you actually speak with mr. bebensee. this is a guy that really knows his work, which includes customer service/satisfaction. he is willing to walk you through every step of the way, offer his experience and expertise as a bassist as well as a luthier so that he may build an instrument perfectly suited to _you_ and your needs, from wood selection to strings and setup. and he is also flexible with his pricing. bebensee basses are expensive, but you get what you pay for. you may even want to check with bill conklin, who is another super nice guy. most of his basses are built with the sidewinder body, but he'll build anything you ask...and this guy's got connections, too! plus, his build times aren't quite as long...before i got this 6 string curbow a couple weeks ago, i was on the path to getting a custom conklin...great guy...think about it!
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    PM Big Wheel, he owned a killer Bebensee 6 string for a while.
  4. Thanks Neptoon and Angus!
    I know, I'm in ecstacy over a design of Ken's that I've seen but the 18 month wait--don't know if I can do that or will have to go with something sooner.

Angus, I'm not familiar with the artist you mentioned. What band is he in?

It's good to hear that Ken is easy to work with and
    gives his customers that personal touch. Thanks.

I'd still love to hear from any owners if you're out there.
    Have a great Thanksgiving Neptoon and Angus. Jim T.
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    bebensee is light years beyond dp basses and his prices reflect that. i live here in san luis obispo where he's at and his work is unreal. one of the tops thats out there.
  6. Thanks Narud. Maybe if I go the KB route, I'll run down there to check on progress at some point. I was in San Luis O. about 25 years ago and liked it a lot. Probably has changed a mite by now. Have a good Thanksgiving. Thanks again, Jim T.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Angus was speaking of Big Wheel, one of our Moderators here. Send him an email or a Private Message. He should be able to give you plenty of info on Ken Bebensee basses.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    My ears are burning...:D

Unfortunately, I can't comment on how good he is about deadlines. I bought my bass used. I can say without a doubt that it was the finest piece of woodworking I ever owned, and I own a Pedulla!

I did deal with Ken, however, trying to sell the bass on his website. The thing stayed listed for over a year, with no takers. Mind you, I also advertised the bass in two back to back issues of BP and in our own TalkBass Classifieds, now moderated by yours truly. Eventually, I sold it to Brian Barrett of the Lowend.

If you're looking for a bass you'll own your whole life, Ken's a great person to talk to. His work is terrific.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

BTW, as far as "bands", well, I'm waiting for a call from Zawinul...:D
  9. Thank you! I've just begun emailing with Ken and he does indeed seem to be very helpful. It would be tough to be patient for 18 month, but I am tempted by getting the features I'm looking for.

I appreciate your "burnin' ears" hearing my cry in the wilderness!;) Thanks! Jim T.