Any Kern IP-777 owners???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 23, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Anyone here own a Kern IP-777???

i just heard that Henry aint answerin' any of his calls, and all his dealers are merely getting a "message box full" warning when his machine does pickup. seems like he's pullin' a "walter"... ;)

anyone know from whom i could get one? been scouring the net for one for my newly built home studio.

and while i'm here, any of you players wanna bestow and share your lub for your Kern? is it really, the Demeter/Alembic mishmash that BP reviewed it as?
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Yep, I love my Kern. Sorry to hear the guy has disappeared. I heard he has done this before. Hope I don't need servicing anytime soon.

As for sound comparisons:

I used to own an Alembic F-1X, and played through Demeter many a few years ago. (I hear Dem's have changed somewhat since then.)

big, clear bottom - rounder sounding than the Alembic, more pronounced than the Demeter.

Mids - way more than Alembic, but that is no surprise, more traditional than Demeter, which to me sounded more Eden-ish in the mids.

Highs - not as bright as Alembic, close to the sparkle of the Dem, but not quite.

Bass control is centered around 125Hz to my ears, making for a warmer, more natural bass. Mids are not as apparent as in an Aguilar DB 659, but you can get there by setting the mid control around 2 o'clock. Treble adds more sizzle than sparkle. The Tonal Balance knob rules. It is like one-stop tone shopping. Turn is past 2 o'clock and you are squarely in Eden/SWR territory. Dial back to 10 o'clock and you get fat old school R&B. Nice for live use.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Dear Joker,

How's it going my man! Just did a show in your neighborhood at Lamours Fri with Deicide, anyway, Kerns kick ass!!! I can't wait to A/B it with an Epifani soon! Here's THE # to call for Henry Kern himself (I just got off the phone with him) 262-657-0315, he's a very cool guy. Let me know how you make out or you can wait until I do my own pre-amp shoot-out at the Epifani lair (I'm also bringing an ADA & a Navigator) stay tuned...

4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx a bunch dood!

i'll give him a call and see what's up. good luck with your visit to Nick's shop. he'll literally chew your ear off, but he's a funny guy.
  5. I've had mine for almost 2 years. No maintenance problems. Always a great tone.

Lo-z did a great job describing the preamp. I absolutely agree with his assessment.

6. I really love my Kern. Great tone live, astounding tone recording direct. I have no regrets. Mine has a built in power supply so there's no wallwart. It has a ground lift switch too.

I run my Sadowsky bass into the Kern 777 then Crown K2 amp and an EA 2x10 cab.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i just ordered one direct from Henry. thx again for the help Dev!

he says it'll be about 2-3 weeks, but he's been notorious to several well known vendors whom we all love that balk at his lead times. henry kinda burned some bridges when he dropped outta sight when they were trying to fill backorders. i havent dropped any money on him, but it seems like he's pretty trustworthy in calling me about finishing "mine".

at any rate, whooo boy... cant wait! if it doesnt work out, by then, i'll prolly go with a Demeter VTBP-201s. i actually love the tone, but its EQ isnt drastic enough for some of the rooms i play. but i've still got my fingers crossed.
  8. When I ordered my Kern two years ago it was delivered without a significant delay. Also, since I am used to ordering instruments that take months, my guitaramp Soldano SLO-100 that took a few months when I ordered it in 1991, a couple of weeks for a superb bass preamp was a pleasant surprise.

I can't imagine anyone not liking the Kern. The DI is killer for recording.
  9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey Devilman, thanx for the number... I just received my Kern today and can't wait to check it out... What sucks though is I go in for hand surgery on Thursday and will be in a cast for alittle while... Well at least I have something to look forward too... Steven...
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    No sense in letting a good preamp go to waste. Why don't you send it over to me while your hand is in a cast and I'll keep it warm for you:D

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Kern. I love the sound of the Alembic F1-X, but am beginning to think I would like the Kern a little more based on what I've heard from other users. Hmmm. Now if I could only gather the money for one.:(