1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any killer smart phone service deals out there? now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tjclem, May 8, 2010.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    We are currently just out of our Verizon contract, naturally they want us back. My wife and I have LG ENV phones with no internet. We are considering new phones and possibly smart phones. As we understand it we are looking at about $150 a month for the 2 of us with internet packages. Are there any better deals out there? Any phone suggestions? Etc.etc.

....Thanks Tom

2. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    There are a few nice phones.... HTC has a few smart phones, both Windows and Android-based (I would recommend the Android ones for obvious reasons), iPhone (obviously), and Samsung has a new phone on the block that is pretty cheap and gets rave reviews.

The recommendation here in Norway is, for the time being: HTC Desire and Samsung Lindy M5650. And the iphone has obviously a high market share, I've never used one so I wouldn't know *lol*

3. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I live in Canada, and around here Virgin has the best rates and a vast selection of phones.

One thing I have learned is to always compare contract and non-contract fees, because sometimes, even though you buy a smart phone at full price, the total comes out cheaper than a three-year contract.

Eg.: With the phone I'll eventually buy and a smartphone service, it would cost me 200 for the phone and then 55$/month. Cheaper than a landline here.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    $55 per month with internet? Sweet!

5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    plus about 25 or so in taxes and fees monthly...

I used to work in cell phone sales, the monthly extra charges are insane!

6. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    The total was 63,75$/month including taxes. It meant 200 minutes by day, unlimited evenings and weekends, voicemail, caller ID, and 500mbs of Internet data. Unlimited data doesn't exist in Canada. We're one of the slowest, and priciest when it comes to Internet.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My brother is on Sprint and he says they have the cheapest data plans. He has been happy with them for the most part. If you go to sprint wait for the HTC EVO to come out this summer. It looks like it is going to be an absolutely killer 4G phone. I think it will be worth the wait.

If you decide not to wait then look at one of HTC's other Android based phones. HTC has good hardware and pretty good UI's.

bc

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    a lot to learn the info is cool thanks....t

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have the Motorola Droid and my wife has the HTC Incredible. They are both excellent offerings from Verizon. Where we live, Verizon has the best coverage.

We are at about $160 per month with 1400 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data/internet.

-Mike

10. my wife and I are with tmobile. Our current bill is $113 / mo (post taxes etc) but her phone doesn't have internet ($25/mo). I have 400 anytime min., free nights and weekends, and free tmobile to tmobile.

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida

Thanks that is pretty hefty. Just not sure we need it at that price.

12. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    go with sprint, 69.99 per month with unlimited everything (including calls to phones with other service providers). 129.99 for an unlimited 2-line family plan. I'd recommend the HTC Hero, android based, responsive touchscreen. Or, wait until this summer when the HTC EVO 4g comes out: 1 ghz processor, 2 cameras (one for live video chat, one 8 megapixel for still shots), HDMI output. It's gonna be pretty awesome.

*sigh* I sell this stuff at my current job.

13. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    if you're inthe city, metro pcs, $40 / month for everything.

14. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Nope out between Daytona Beach and Orlando....