1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

any lado experts out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bommer, May 11, 2010.

1. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    hello, i am going to try out this bass this weekend, and it seems to be a Very good price for a lado bass. Is anyone here more experienced with lado's than me that can tell me whether or not this is a true lado bass?

also, anything specific i should be looking for? thanks

Attached Files:

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
  3. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    alright, it has the same body as one of steve harris' so im thinking its legitimate, just like others opinions as well, thanks

4. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    any other inputs by any chance?

5. its all relative - how much are they asking for it ?

6. deb

deb

Mar 10, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Try Chuck Majic. He studied under "Joe" Lado and would probably be able to answer most questions you have. Google him.

Good luck!
    deb

7. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    thanks deb.

and jim, its significantly less than what a new one costs

8. austinso

austinso

Jan 10, 2008
    East Bay, CA
    Looks like a falcon...maybe mid 80s? I say that because of the airbrush finish and the EMG pups. He stopped using the BC-rich like preamp because they were problematic and the EMG pups were in vogue (the other ones he had were called "sergio" or something...).

I had one (natural finish, koa wings, maple neck) that I traded a BC rich Eagle for and it weighed a ton. A little bit of neck dive too. I consigned mine in 1996 for $500-600 I think. They just have no resale value despite the great craftsmanship. If I had kept my BC-rich, it would have been worth twice as much. He was well known during the hair metal days and followed that wave...

9. pretty sure I know that one - its in Guelph - right ? I have a catalog sheet from Lado with a pic of it ( or one exactly the same) . The seller ( if its the Guelph one - contacted me a few months ago. I would say that it is realistically around $500 bass.

10. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    thanks austin.
    and jim, that the one i am talking about. i am paying $600 for it. do you think i should pull the trigger on it if i like the way it plays? (also, have you tried it yourself?)

11. Thats up to you I guess - I haven't played that obne - but I have owned the same model. They are heavy with looonnng necks. Usually sound okay and look great - but I wouldn't buy it to be your #1 bass. He offered to me - but the most I would have paid was $500 - and it was to go with my other Lados - not to be an everyday player. $600 is okay if you love it.

12. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    ah alright. thanks for the heads up.
    but my i ask, how come its worth so little when the basses from their site now run from about 1500 min? you are much more knowledgeable than me with lado basses, all i know of them is that someone i know plays a really nice one lol.

13. Lados have a notoriously low resale value.

14. well.... don't keep us in suspense - did you buy it ?

15. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    haha, ill tell you when i drive up.
    last saturday was a bad time for both of us, this this saturday, im going down to london to try it out. I really hope its a good bass

16. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    hey, i pick it up yesterday. plays beautiful, but there is an issue with it, electronic wise.

me and the seller had worked out a deal that i had a week, and if there was a problem i could return it.
    i emailed him about the problem, and he offered for me to get the bass fixed, and he would pay for it. he also said, if i dont want to do that, i could return it to him.

so im waiting till the next time a long and mcquades is open to get it checked.

im dealing with the nicest guy ever.

17. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    got it looked at, its all good.
    im gonna play the hell outa this bass! :bassist: