1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any large bodied 6 string basses out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mizedog, Jul 17, 2012.

1. mizedog

mizedog

Feb 12, 2008
    I know this is silly, but here goes. I'm interested in getting a used 6 string (on a budget, not playing pro anymore) but am a little depressed that most budget basses have little bitty bodies. I'm 6'4", not skinny, and make my Jazz base look like an undersized mini Strat. As much as I respect basses like the Ibanez Sound Gears, etc., and they're in the right price range, I would look really silly playing one.

Aside from the SXs, it seems like all the full sized Jazz 6 stringers are boutique expensive. Oh, would love to have 24 frets.

Any suggestions on a budget, larger bodied 6 string? Old, and quality is just fine too.
    Thanks for humering me.

2. akabane

akabane

Jan 21, 2012
    London
    Yamaha TRB 6s and 6IIs could be a wise choice?
    You could snag one up secondhand for not much money, the build quality is good, and the body is large. I mean. LARGE. Once setup properly they play like a dream as well!
    Also because of the full string spacing (going from 17 to 19mm, 19mm ones are highways! Love them :p )
    The latest one, 1006, is the smaller one if I recall correctly (and if you get by one of these you might want to consider changing the preamp as well, depending on wheter you like your tone super clear and a little 'asettic white' - default preamp - or a tone with more personality - change it!)

Some people playing Ken Smith's 6 basses make them look BIG as well, but that's boutique and really expensive, so I'd stick with TRBs.

3. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yep, the older japanese TRB6 models are large and heavy. Nice basses indeed! Just saw a few TRB6s on ebay:

(TRB6II, amber):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Trb6...e-/221074078218?pt=Guitar&hash=item33790aba0a

(TRB6II, magenta):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-TRB6...n-/330763327593?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d0307d869

(TRB6P, blue):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-TRB6...e-/150858116239?pt=Guitar&hash=item231fd82c8f

Here is my amber burst TRB6II:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRB6P, translucent blue:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Gee, the TRB looks like it was the inspiration for my Brice Z6es. Used to be $449 new from Rondo, but mine were $249 b-stocks.

IMGP1906.

5. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    I have a Carvin BB75 and it is about 2x the width of my Warwick Corvette 5. The BB76 is the 6 string version and they go for around $600 or so used. Great playing basses with an asymmetrical neck too!

6. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Some 6 string spectors (classics or rebops I think) I've played felt quite big to me. Sounded alright too, though not my thing.

7. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Bongo.

8. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Ibanez BTBs are definitely not small-bodied. Some LTD 6ers can be found for $400-500 new and seems to be pretty big, but I never tried any.

9. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    I'd have to say your best bet for a larger bodied 6 string.. would be a neck-thru... reason being is that most bolt on basses can be attached to the same sized bodies as the 4 and 5 string models but a neck thru would usually need to have that extra width to accommodate the wide fretboard

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Yamaha TRB's
    Spector Classic / Euro
    Ibanez BTB's
    Music Man Bongo
    Fame Baphomet
    Sandberg Basic's
    Warwick Streamer

11. Just got a used BTB today. It is awesome! Big chunky body, nice deep cutaways, and a genius neck. For reference I am 6'1" with really big hands and it's perfect for me.

12. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    If you can find any of these Z6's, they are an incredible deal. Very good quality, great players. Rondo made them in natural, red and spalted natural in addition to the blue ones.

If you really look at them closely, they are almost identical to the Fender DR's from the early to mid '90's, also great basses.

My first 6 was a Brice Prestige Z6, and to this day it is the only bass I've ever regretted selling. Wish Rondo still made them, but I haven't seen them in a long time .... :atoz:

13. mizedog

mizedog

Feb 12, 2008
    thanks all I'm digging the t r b 6. I have since it first came out many years ago.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Check out the Carvin Bunny Brunel 6. I think the BB body is a little bigger than their standard LB body.

c-bb76.

15. This one is pretty big.

DSC00707.

16. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The Heartfield DR basses have pretty good sized bodies. I play a DR-5 and here is a picture of a DR-6. If you can find one they still go for reasonable money. I just picked up a DR-5 from Bass Northwest for $299. :hyper:

35j9x79.

17. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    +1. This is what I said earlier...they feel and look HUGE in person compared to any other bass guitar I've seen and played. The body is a good 4-6" wider than the norm.

18. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    The Fodera Anthony Jackson Presentation contrabass guitar is a 6-string with a pretty large body. Also, they recently built a custom instrument that is based on the Presentation but has a more acoustic design, which they refer to as a hybrid. Anthony is having one something like this built for himself. I can hardly wait to hear what he does with it...

Here's a photo of Anthony with the hybrid. You can find out more about it if you read the Fodera thread.

Jim

Attached Files:

19. neddihem

neddihem

Jul 27, 2012
    Ibanez BTB !!!! Get a prestige model