Any Late 80's Peavey Sarzo Owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FranF, Sep 8, 2010.

1. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Just trying to get educated on them. Picked one up and do remember them being in the stores around '89 to '92 or so. Wondering what the general feeling is, pros, cons, whatnot. I had an '89 TL-5 that was superb, and hope this is on par. Kinda looking for a 'support group' I guess! My stable is all Fender, Rick, Gibson, etc and a '79 T-40, which makes me way less than an expert on all things Peavey!

2. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I played one of these in music store a few times back in '98. (The Washburn signature model.)

Ebony fingerboard was like a slab, very flat fingerboard radius (maybe a 12" or 18"), very wide fingerboard. (like a 1.75" P bass) I don't think I even bothered plugging it in. I was just feeling out the neck.

It was on the heavier side, but not crazy heavy, (but I'm a poor judge since I like heavier basses.) Maybe around 10 pounds even.

[​IMG]

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    The Peavey Sarzo was exceptional, and certainly an influence on the Cirrus line. I never saw them in abundance in the stores, but have owned two. The one I currently owned was on your with Rudy in his Whitesnake days. It has a Kahler tremolo, and came to me with gaffer's tape completely covering the back.

4. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Is yours the neck through one that is kind of like a "TL-4"? Transparent finish on the body wings, ebony fretboard? Which color?

I've seen images of another Peavey Sarzo with a koa(?) body, don't know much about it.

I have one of the former and am keeping it. My only gripe is a little slimmer neck than I like. Hope you enjoy yours!

=wr=

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The actual Rudy Sarzo bass never came out in koa. The bass you saw was either an RSB bass (a bolt-on, lower priced model) or a Unity Series Dyna Bass . Both of those are excellent basses, but not at the same level as a Rudy Sarzo model.

The Rudy Sarzo model is an awesome bass. They're becoming expensive to buy. 2 years ago, you could buy them for under $500. Now they usually sell in the $600-$700 range. Even at $700, the Sarzo bass is a steal. Beautifully made, construction wise it's at the same level as many basses costing $2,000+ today. They play like a dream and sound great.

6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Mine's the neck-thru one in trans purple I guess. Kinda purplish-grayish-blackish. Hard to describe. It should be here Friday or Monday. Bass looks to be essentially brand new. Can't wait to get it!

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    a local shop has one like the pic on this site ..I think in yellow stripes. Its been there awhile thou.

8. Chris Breese

Chris Breese Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    Farmington, IL USA
    When I was 13 I saw Rudy Sarzo in a magazine playing that bass. I thought it was the coolest thing. Ever.

9. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    My apologies. I cannot read. I didn't realize there was a Peavey Sarzo a well as the Washburn. Sorry for the confusion.

10. I have a Verdine White signature bass that is based on the Sarzo, it is a great sounding and playing bass in translucent red. The sound is not Fenderish at all more like a Wal or Alembic or even in some settings like a Music Man. Enjoy your new bass.

11. I've owned a few.. I may be able to help with specific questions PMd to me.

12. Dyna Unity LTD is as close to a TL4 as it gets.

13. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    That's the one; I thought RSB stood for Rudy...

Glad to hear about the pricing, mine was well played and modestly priced when I got it a few years ago.

I should have said: "TL-4" (not that they ever existed)
    Visually, seems like a strong family resemblance between the TL-5/6s and the Sarzo to me.

=wr=

14. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    RSB is an acronym for "Rudy Sarzo Bass", but the RSB is the budget alternative to the real deal. The body shape is the same, but the Sarzo signature bass is on another level of build quality.

15. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    FranF...I'm sure you'll enjoy playing it. With a good setup they almost play themselves.

The info I have from back in the day is that the Sarzo PUs are T-40s in a plastic case. I think that came from the Peavey guru at the time. They don't really sound like T-40s but that could be due to different wood, construction, placement, etc. I've never done an A/B so I could be fooling myself. Not much growl but more clean and modern, whatever that means, but with a lot of tight low end if the eq was set right. Good clear mids for definition and nice highs if not over boosted. The PUs are center tapped if you want to try coil tapping. I did play a T-40 in the late 70s/early 80s. Same pre amp as the Dyna Bass.

The paint is the high traction type so you may want to break the gloss on the back of the neck with 0000 steel wool or use some slickum.

The red one has maple wings and has some heft to it. The purple one has aldur wings and and really sits well. I changed the hardware to black. The gold was just a little glitzy for me with these colors.

Please post pics. :)

SarzoPanorama.jpg

mech

16. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Yep, that's my color and bass on the right! Beautiful pair there. I'll post pics as soon as mine arrives.

17. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Hmmm, or not! Mine might actually be trans black. Will report back on arrival day!

18. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    In good light the one above looks like a almost-not-trans Wine. I've seen a trans black and one trans dark brown that was said to be a custom order. Both were beautiful instruments. If I could have gotten away with slugging the guy with the Brown one I'd have it. He couldn't be talked out of it.

These are as good a build quality as any boutique neck through bass I've had my hands on. Same for TL-5s and some Dyna Unitys.

mech

19. I'm pretty sure that the pups are not T40, got one different animal all together. The original pups are from Bartolini "Wide Aperature" with a Peavey embossed logo, later basses had a PV built pup of a similar design.
    My bass is like the red one pictured.

20. definately not T40.. I've owned about 12

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021