Any latin bassist suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by baba, Aug 23, 2002.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Time to find a new groove. I want to enter the wonderful world of latin bass guitar. I'm open to all latin styles as I know they vary greatly. I love Cachao but he is an upright player (an amazing one I should also say). I also dig the guy from Ozomatli but that is more latin edged hip hop funk than straight up classic latin.

Can I get some suggestions on good latin bassists/bands to check out? To avoid a double post by adding this to recordings, can you also include any recommended recordings in the response?

Gracias mi amigos.

DOHT!!! I never thought I'd have to tell myself this but, "DO A SEARCH FIRST IDIOT!!". I found some good info on past threads. None the less, any additional info is appreciated.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One recording that immediately came to mind from this topic is the Roy Hargrove album called 'Habana'. He recorded this album with the Cuban band Crisol and the bassist is John Benitez. He plays electric and there are some nice lines and solos in this CD. Some of them I copped and they lead to some great original jams just on my own.

Benitez also has his own trio CD but I think it is mostly upright. It was rated highly though and he may play some electric on it. I haven't heard it.

Anyway...I'd recommend the Hargrove CD. The bass is good and it's just nice overall.

brad cook
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Thanks Brad! I'll check it out.

For anyone interested, I did some fishing myself and came up with a wealth of info on latin music styles. Hopefully I can reap some leads out of this:

Still looking for recommended latin bassists...anyone...?
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Check out one of our Talkbass guru's, Gard. He's a pro and his Latin lines can make you sweat comino.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Lincoln Goines?

...I think he's even written a book about the subject, too. ;)

Another worthy electric cat-
    Oskar Cartaya(Spyro Gyra).

Last weekend, I was re-visiting the 1st 3 Santana albums; Dave Brown laid down some nice tumbaos...I'm thinking specifically of "Guajira" from the 3rd album. "Oye Como Va" is nice, too.
    Mandrill, too, is a Latin-Funk-R&B ensemble; you may enjoy how they make montunos & such work in their sound.

Sal Cuevas is another...probably more of an authentic Latin bassist in more traditional settings.

If I were you-
    I would still consider the upright players & then transpose that knowledge to yer ax.
    Andy Gonzalez(of Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band + countless other sessions)is a must-check out.

...and Gard is happenin', too!
  6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Try Oscar Stagnaro and his work with Paquito D'Rivera. The September issue of Bass Player actually has an article on him.

I agree with JimK, too. Definately check out some of the upright players such as Cachao, also.
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Benny Rietveld has some good lines worth checkin out on Santanas Supernatural cd.

Spyro Gyra also has some good latin styles as well. Im not sure if its Scott Ambush doing those lines or not though. Para Ti Latino and Old San Juan are worth a listen to IMO.
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Get some Daniela Mercury records. Cesar Leony kicks butt.
  9. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
  10. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    that dude that plays for both ARKESTRA CLANDESTINA(.com) and BURNING STAR. and also the one from QUETZAL.
  11. Bobby Rodriguez with Tito Puente.
    Juan Formell with Los Van Van.

These two guys are like the founding fathers of bass guitar in latin music, before them it was mostly all upright.

Anthony Jackson is mostly latin-jazz
    Same for Andy Gonzales.
    Benny Reitveld, and all the Santana bassists are mostly Guajira-rock.
  12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Great stuff guys!!

Now I've got my work cut out for me.
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Coincidentally, there's an article followed by a lesson in latin bass with Oscar Stagnaro in the September issue of Bass Player. You might want to check it out.

brad cook
  14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I listen alot to Carlo Puarto Jr with Cubanismo alot he got that next generation thing (chops, lots of variations on his tumbaos) but he is based solidly in the Feel.Great Player!

I study with Oscar Stagnaro and I have to say He's Amazing.Wonderful person, great musician,seriouslly bad a$$ bass player.