1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

any Laurel and Hardy fans on TalkBass?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rob_thebassman, Jul 3, 2012.

1. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Not seen a thread about Laurel and Hardy on here yet, so thought I'd make one.

Those 2 were absolutely funny! everyone of their films and shorts always cheers me up!

2. Know your classics. Greats

3. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    the faces that Oliver Hardy pull are enough to make me pee my pants XD

4. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I have loved Laurel and Hardy ever since they came on TV on Saturday mornings when I was I kid. My favorite is probably "Tit for Tat." But there are so many other great ones including a silent called "Big Business" where they are selling Christmas trees in July. Check out the name of the Journalist who wrote this article. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/new-source-alternative-fuel-885318/

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    5stringblues at a convention

5stringhardy.

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    OMG!!!! I love those guys

Used to watch them on tv as a kid with my Dad

7. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Same here! March of the Wooden Soldiers is the one I always remember....but my brothers and I would watch any of them. Three Stooges and Abbott and Costello as well. Some of the fondest early memories I have of my Dad and my childhood!

8. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Hardy - what are you doing?
    Laurel - I thought you said tip mi hat

:p

9. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello. Both team were awesome. A lot of today's comics could take many lessons from them on what makes things funny. Shocking vulgarity just doesn't.

10. The piano and the stairs

On the Trail of the Lonesome Pine

The utter exasperation on Ollie's face as Stan takes an age to peel a boiled egg.

too many others to mention. Classics.

11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I was always a bigger Abbot & Costello fan..

12. My mom used to giggle like a school girl watchin those guys... and me right along with her.
    I also You Tubed Abbott and Costello and played the Who's on first routine for my 8 and 10 year olds and I thought my daughter was going to pee herself!
    They are classics for a reason!
    Fishheadjoe

13. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    A long time favorite from when I was little. When I was a kid, I used to check out 8mm movies from the library (this is pre-VHS folks) and thy had a bunnh of Laurel & Hardy shorts that were just classic!

This one especially:

14. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    I've been given DVDs of Lauren and Hardy for christmas :)

15. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    the first one I ever saw was the one where they join the legion cos of a woman dumping hardy and finding out shes been with everyone in the legion haha! and hardy explaining levity haha

16. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    " Hard boiled eggs and nuts!.......Hmm!!!"

17. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    What immediately comes to my mind is the episode where Laurel was still in a foxhole and didn't knew the war was over years ago.

2 things I found particulary funny.

- When he shot down the plane with the anti-aircaft gun. The smug way he nodded after he shot the plane.

- When Hardy went to pick him up from the veteran hospital and assumed Laurel lost a leg. He went carrying him around... very funny.

I once saw a documentary on these two. What was interesting that behind the scenes Laurel was a hardass and rather difficult person to deal with, and Hardy was more of a meak easy-going guy. As opposed to their characters on-screen.

18. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    honolulu baby, where'd you get those eyes