1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any LDS 410 users out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XtraLongScale, Nov 14, 2006.

1. After searching the threads for Low Down Sound, I've read some really glowing recommendations for their cabs in many speaker configs except for the 410. I'm checking out a used (obviously custom ordered) 2 ohm 410 at the end of the week hoping it can be my one cab solution and I was just wondering if anyone else has used one, regardless of impedance rating, especially with 5 stringers. Any info welcome. Thanks.

2. I've never seen nor heard an LDS 410. I've played a few of Don's 310 cabs, and they were very impressive (one was a loaded with Eminence Neo's, and the other had 'regular' speakers... both sounded similar and great).

a 2ohm 410... interesting... I guess that is OK... I've never been a fan of pushing a head at 2ohms, even ones that are rated for safe 2ohm operation (SS amps anyway)... however, I may just be old and set in my ways!

One thing about Don's LDS cabs which is both a positive and a negative... they are so 'custom' that there isn't one, identifiable 'LDS' tone like you get with Berg's, Epifani's, etc.

I've yet to hear an LDS cab that sounds bad... but I've heard some models that sound AMAZING and others that are just OK. Don uses many different components, crossover frequencies, etc. in his cabs, and they can sound very, very different from one another.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    As mentioned there are so many LDS configs that have been built, so many different sonic personalities. I think Don knows how to quickly get any combination work fairly well together, and a GOOD combination, marvelously ... if a customer takes his advice on good configs rather than wanting to stuff a bunch of sizes nilly-willy into a box, that's where the magic can happen.

4. I saw a few (some w/neos others w/hefty magnets) at the website & thought maybe it would have been more common. I'll find out in a few days like mentioned previously. I'm trying it w/my Nemesis NA650 & hope Don's magic translates well with the head. This'll be my 1st experience with LDS & I'm expecting good things :) Thanks, guys.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I know Don's built a couple, one was on the road with Mike Harrington (with Joe Sample) while his Eden was getting repaired. I called him to get his take on Don's cabs before I ordered my first one and he liked the LDS as much as his Eden and said it was lighter. He recommended it glowingly so I ordered my first (210 neo) which I love.