1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any LDS/fEarful owners Playing hard rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 3rdcurve, Mar 19, 2010.

1. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    I am looking at an LDS fEarful type 1515/66 Cab. I am curious as to how this cabs sound will translate to my style of playing. Does any 15/6 or other fearful desing cab owners use their cabs in a hard rock setting?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    cabs just wait for input. you can play any kind of music on any rig. would i use one for hard rock? i might, sure. that's a big loud cab that moves a lot of air.

3. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    Are we talking real hard rock.. as in early Devo... or that limp wristed crap the kids are doing these days?

+1

Its also a well balanced speaker that can reproduce anything you want to put in it. Seriously - you can get anything out of a 1515/66 that can come out a speaker shy of brutal highs, for which you should add the horn making it a 1515/66+1 though frankly the horn is not really necessary for typical use IMO. Many would turn if off - I sometimes do.

4. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Hey guys, thanks for chiming in! I suppose what I am asking is can I get a good punch and grind out of this cab. Foz I believe you used to own an ampeg 810 or something similar, I am on the fence between the 1515/66 and a LDS built legend b810 using svt copy. My bands style ranges from a tool/godsmack sound to buckcherry. Between the two styles of cab, what would work best in my application? I rarely go lower than drop D, but want that D to have authority.

Oh, and DEVO? Really?Devo?

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You should hear my chorused distortion through this cab; it sounds like the fist of an angry god.

6. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Any clips?

7. RBASS930

RBASS930 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    That was not what I was expecting when I clicked on the Devo clip. Very nice, solid sound.

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Most bands are just men. You can't hold them to that standard.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Man, this recording did not come out great - think I had the low cut on the recorder. It's much bassier in the practice room (20ft x 20ft, mind you). Could be my medium quality PC speakers too I guess.

This is me trying to remember some Tool riffs (very slowly).
    http://63.134.202.170/audio/basschorusdist-15-6.mp3

10. RBASS930

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Sounds fine through my system

11. 3rdcurve

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Thanks, missing the lows but that mid sure cuts! What type of chorus and distortion are you running?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    ok, here's my favorite:

13. RBASS930

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I'm afraid to ask why it's your favorite, but.........

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    genius needs no explanation. josh freese quit nine inch nails to play with devo and record their first new album in 20 years. that song is a major reason why, even though josh plays it wrong ;)

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Behringer chorus, MXR M80 distortion.

In the room the lows were pretty ridiculous loud, I think it's just the recorder + PC speakers. Try downloading the mp3 and running it through your PA or bass rig and turning up the bass a little.

The M80 does have a tendency to suck out some low end but I just add it back in with the bass knob :)

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ahaha, holy crap. THat's why it sounded bad to me. I was running through my laptop speakers not my normal PC setup with the subwoofer. Plugged that in and the bass is back.

Yeah that is a pretty good recording of the tone anyway. Be sure whatever you are listening on has a subwoofer.

Also bear in mind the lowest note in any of those riffs is open D (not drop D). I'll record some noodling with it with some lower notes in a bit.

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  18. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    If you want a low D with authority go fEarful... no way this driver is going to compare in low end performance.

http://eminence.com/pdf/legend-b810.pdf

And yep I have had a few 8x10's [currently have a pair of Ampeg SVT-410HE Classic Series cabs I stack to make an 8x10 equivalent array]. My 1515/66+1 can do everything this stack can do - and a lot more. FWIW I am selling my 4x10's.

That said I am the wrong guy to ask about distorted/fuzzy bass. I am more a nice clean punch to the testicles kind of guy with a bit of Ampegish growl in the low mids. When I am more or less sober I do this in time with the drummer and call it rock and roll.

===

Nice clip! Its a good exhibition of the tight and loud lows the fEarful design family can do for you.

===

Didja see this one Jimmy?

What is that bass rig - I am guessing its an Ampeg 2x15? But what's that head? I bet you can tell us.

===

My bad... that was unfair of me. :meh:

19. I'm curious about this too. I play in a heavy post-hardcore band along the lines of A Day To Remember. We tune to drop C, and although my current cabs sound good close, they don't fill in a room very well. That wouldn't be as issue if we always played with a great FOH system, but a lot of the shows we play, I have to carry the room without PA support. These LDS/fEarful 15/6 and 1515/66 cabs are looking really good.

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Get one 15/6 and then buy another if you need it. Go read the LDS club thread's last couple pages for reasons why :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020