Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Les Claypool/Carl Thompson Replicas Out There?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Mar 3, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Are there any manufacturers of basses similar to the ones Les Claypool uses but a heck of a lot cheaper? Like what SX is to Fender.

I love the look of his basses. The closest thing to his CT's are Ritters which are probably more expensive. Cool as heck, but I'm a student.

Anyone know of replicas/copies of that body style of bass?

-Eric.

2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    No, not really. To my knowledge, there's no manufacturers (as in mass market manufacturers, not custom builders) who make anything that even remotely resembles a CT. It's gonna have to be a custom job. Our very own Darrin Huff makes CT-inspired basses for reasonable money, certainly a lot cheaper than CT himself (his order book's closed now though).

Secondhand ones show up on Ebay from time to time, but they go for nearly-new money. (the last one I saw was $4000!).

Russ :bassist:

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    There are some replicas out there. But not in the price range you are stating. You might be able to find something occassionally pop up for about 2000 used. But, there is a reason why they aren't easily copied, most of the features generally found on a CT aren't easy or trivial. But, if you are dead set on it, and you don't care about the quality all that much and want looks, a wish bass might be close.

4. Darrin Huff makes some really nice looking CT-ish basses. They are still on the expensive side, but much more reasonable than CT and probably much quicker to get. I hear the average time on a CT is 2 years.

www.dhuffguitars.com