Any licensed HAMs out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by volumefiend, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Hey guys,

Is anyone here at TB a licensed HAM?

Im working on getting my license this summer. Im studying for my FCC Amateur communications Technician license. It looks like an interesting hobby to take up.

Id encourage people to get a license for themselves. Im using a text from the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) to study off of for the test. I cant wait.

So...anyone out there licensed? Anyone?

If you want some information on the hobby, heres a website:
  2. yea but youre not licensed:p
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  4. I studied for and received my no-code Tech license about 8 years ago.

I haven't used the radio in 7 years, except when shuffling through old things and pondering whether or not to throw them out. Then I turn it on, listen to the local Senior Citizen chatter, and put it back in the box, tucked safely away for when I've reached senility.

(Disclaimer: I'm sure HAM radio is a fine and enjoyable hobby for those so inclined. The above experiences are mine and therefore are influenced by my recreative preference.)
  5. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I am not into it much. But my dad has done it his whole life...he loves it. He is N4Jhy, he has not been on often b ut I think he will eventually phase back into it. MY brother I think is getting his lisence as well.
  6. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I had a novice license at one time.

I was working as a repair tech in an electronics repair shop so the theory part of the exam was a breeze. The CW (morse code) part of the exam took some time to learn.

I built my own transmitter and antenna. The first time I put it on the air I made contact with another ham in Venezuela. A really fun hobby.

Being a musician definitely helps one to send smoooth cw. My problem was that my sending abilities far exceeded my copying abilities.