1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any light weight basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul4703, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Paul4703

Paul4703

Mar 19, 2007
    Hi,

Been looking at new bass guitars and they are all pretty heavy. Can anyone recommend a bass that is relatively light in weight?

Paul.

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Parker Fly

Not what I'm into, but they are well made and extremely lightweight

[​IMG]

3. Danelectros. MF is clearing Dano 63s out for a couple hundred dollars right now.

4. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Hofners. You can get into one for about 400 bucks these days....

5. ditto on the icon.

6. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    Fender Precisions are light.

7. Sadowsky NYC basses are really light. Mine weighs 7lbs.

8. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I guess I'll be the first to ask... :smug:

What's your budget? Lightweight basses can be had for anywhere to a few hundred bucks to a few thousand.

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    My beater bass is a Dean Edge 09 which is made out of Paulownia and weighs next to nothing.

Was $99 when I got it, has gone up to $120ish, so still very cheap. Not amazing tone, but very good for the price. Definitely worth checking one out if weight is a primary concern.

10. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    To say that "all" Fender Precisions are light is misleading.
    Those of us who have owned a late seventies P can attest
    to the average weight. The newer Fenders granted, are on
    the lighter side. Now, compared to a T-40.....well.....
    :smug:

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    TBC (The Bass Company) are about 5.5 pounds for the 5 string basses. Also, you could always build one from Warmoth. They make the Jazz body chambered and they give you a 20% weight drop (per the site). Bodies start at $282 http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/J-Bass/ChamberedJbass.aspx

12. That^^^^, or www.americanmusical.com is clearing out the yamaha rbx4 a2's. They are super lightweight as well. Good reviews from what I have seen so far.

13. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I am under the assumption that this guy is getting a new bass, so if he got a P it would be light.

And yes...when I switch from playing my T40 to my Vintage Series P I feel Like I could jump over a building!

14. Try a Fender 51 Precision reissue. I have one and it's extremely light, however it's a tad neck heavy.

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My Soundgears are all in the 7 lb range.

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I just played a MIM P-bass that was as light as anything I have played/owned. Played and sounded pretty nice, too.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Try just about any semi-hollowbody. They look great and are lighter than most solid-bodies.

18. ohskigod

ohskigod

May 5, 2008
    Ditto on the Ibanez soundgear, the SR505 is the lightest of my basses, or at least it feels like it is

19. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    my Ibanez Sr500 is the lightest bass I've ever played. One of the reasons I bought it.

20. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Matter a fact there is an sr505 in the classifieds right now. I'd buy it but I just bought a 655 that is pretty light too.