1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any love for Hofner club basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magic8161, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    Think these would fit with Blues Brothers show I do and Country? I Really like that thumpy sound.

2. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Absolutely! They're brilliant for blues and country...and anything that benefits from a rich, warm, supportive bass sound. (I play my 500/1 in an alt/vintage country band, and it sounds perfect.) Plus, they're light and comfy, and you get a point or two for originality.

3. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    I have a German Club. Excellent instrument. Workmanship is outstanding. Best with flats. Sounds awesome when palm muted and played with thumb or pleck.

4. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    The Hofners have always puzzled me, and I couldn't keep my Club. What could have been a great instrument ended up like this dialog: (I'm not here to upset, but this is just my take) Let's keep a 1963 switch for solo and treble, because bass players just love to alternate rhythm and solo parts. Let's set up controls so that you have no clue why there is a bridge pickup, and keep volume blending a no go. Let's make string spacing so tight that bass players will get excited to learn a new instrument. Let's keep a floating bridge without intonation adjustment because, well, it's fun. Let's keep a 1963 control plate rectangle because it's unfashionable and our brand. Did I miss anything? Oh, Let's put our product out with roundwound strings so everyone can have something interesting to say when they put flats on it.

5. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So why not a get good P-Bass? BTW, I positively wore out a cassette copy of Briefcase Full of Blues one summer when I was in high school. I really know that record. Think Duck would approve of his parts played with that goofy German bass?

magic8161 and Hurricane Jimmie like this.
  6. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Goofy German bass??? A Duck that plays bass???@#! A "Lemmy"ing that plays bass??!!??? What is this world devolving to?????????? I need some consolation with my Squier.

saabfender likes this.
  7. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    ... not that there's anything wrong with it...

8. Bourbongangster

Bourbongangster

Nov 5, 2015
    Seeing this thread made me miss my Club. Then reading your post reminded me why I sold it.

9. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Yes
    We Loveses The Precious!
    We Needses The Precious!

10. It’s easy to replace the controls with a selector switch / V / T, but I agree about that rectangular plate

11. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    They sound just like violin Basses, but are more ergonomic IMO.

I wish Paul would have played one, so we could get some more choices nowadays....

12. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    They wanted to change this and did a while back, but the backlash from the general public was very strong and they decided to go back to the classic design.

They still have a German model or two with 3 way pup selector and volume/tone setup, but super expensive.

Hopefully they will introduce some cheaper alternatives with more typical electronics one day because they are gonna need to appeal to younger players eventually.

With that being said, I like the hofner control panel takes one practice session to figure it out and makes it more of a “set and forget” bass as opposed to a bass that makes it easy to play around with your pickup blending and tone while you are playing.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  13. I would set and forget. Then I would take it to a gig, and want to tweak the tone a little...

14. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    McCartney (the bass player) is the best thing that happened to Hofner. McCartney (the icon) is the worst thing that happened to Hofner. Unfortunately, fetishistic customers have trapped Hofner in amber to the point where one might wonder whether they're selling basses or nostalgia pieces.

Like you, I hope the passage of time allows Hofner to maintain the best aspects of their designs (and there are a lot of good aspects!) and shed the less sensible ones.

Even so, perfect intonation is possible with the floating bridge, and the somewhat limited control panel still allows for righteous tones. Despite their quirks, Hofner basses are fabulous instruments. They're just not for everybody, which makes them a little more special for those of us who do like them.

ICM, ScottTunes, Mastermold and 2 others like this.
  15. Johnny Dee

Johnny Dee

Mar 25, 2018
    I've seen Bill Frizell's bass player using a Hofner Club (Pipeline on YouTube, for one). By the way, I bought a Chinese knockoff online from China for $200 & it's great. Delivery took 2 weeks. Shipping from eBay was free.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  16. **Raises hand** I like them! :D

fermata likes this.
  17. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    This is why i love the upgraded control panel on my club. Screenshot_20180325-215211_eBay.

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I gig my Ignition Club strung with flats or nylon tapes for blues, jazz, bossa, roots, rock, soul, R&B, country and whatever else comes along.

I've thought of replacing the controls with V/V/T but I never use any bridge pickup so I just keep all the switches up, turn down the bridge pickup and use the Bass switch to dump highs if required.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I think the Hofner doublecut club looks wonderful.

20. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I would have a lot more love for them if they were 34" scale. Mainly because I like Hofners, but I have more than enough short scale hollow body basses already. A long scale one is the only bass I need to complete my herd. And, Hofner makes left handed Club basses, so...:thumbsup: As for the controls? Yeah, they're a little strange; I usually say they're Hofner's revenge for Germany losing WWII. Really, though, what they are is a small company's response to limited resources that plagued Germany for a long time after that war. They're identical to the ones on Hofner's hollow body guitars. Think "guitar", and they make a lot more sense. Simple as that...;)