1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any love for Quarter Pounders in here?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by frpax, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DD Gunz

DD Gunz

Jun 18, 2015
    California
    I had them in my 77 P bass when I bought it (converted to PJ by a previous owner). That bass is ash/maple and naturally aggressive. With the QP pickups the bass was insane! No tone but clank and twang. It also had no tone control so that was a contributing factor.

I have since switched to a set of Geezers with the VVT setup the pickups come with. They sound great but do not quite get the snarl the QP pickups had. I have decided to stick with the Geezers as they can get aggressive as well. I am also a 90% pick player and enjoy an aggressive bass.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The bottom picture I posted has the SD logo and still has the pole pieces flush with the flat work.

3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    UK
    I did notice that after I posted. Perhaps it is a new design feature intended to prevent the strings hitting the poles? I'DK, but I agree with you that the recessed look, if intentional, is not easy on the eye...

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Too heavy for me, I guess they would be good if you needed to counter neck dive though :p

On a more serious note, I did ponder on ordering a pair of P/J Seymour Duncan Quater Pounders for a while to upgrade my Ibanez Mikro with, but after reading the charges on Seymour Duncan's homepage I discovered that it seems like they emphasis the lows and highs, and since I am going for a more punchy sound, which I assume means emphasis on the mids, and after some advice from this forum, I finally decided for a set of EMG Geezer Butler over the Quater Pounders.

If anyone think I might have made the wrong choice and can convince me that I would probably be better off with the Quatter Pounds, there's still time to change my order on the Geezers.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    JimmyM likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Won't get an argument from me :D

NoiseNinja likes this.
  6. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Well, I am not here to convince you one way or the other, but I will say the tone chart on our page is a little misleading. The QPs have a lot of low mids, rather than a scoop in there. The bass probably isn't as high as it looks either. You can hear this on some of the demos.

7. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    UK
    I agree. My SJB-3B is anything but scooped. It is really well balanced from the bottom to high mids. There is plenty of top end available but I tend to roll that off through a 0.022 cap. I can't comment on the P as mine is not SD, but I can't praise the SJB-3B enough.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Zoobiedood likes this.
  8. No love here, sadly. Too hot and too scooped. Punching away in frequencies that don't help in a band setting.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My main gigging P bass with the rock band came with QPs. I really like them. Most of my rig probably emphasizes mids, so it all works out. I prefer the slightly aggressive nature.

The pole pieces are all a little proud of the plastic FWIW.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Agreed to an extent, but the result is still an upper mid scoop. I'd also say that it isn't quite as trebly as the chart shows, either. Has slightly more than the DiMarzio Model P, but not a whole lot more. Definitely reduced from a vintage-style pickup like the SPB-1. Guess that comes with the territory when you do hot pickups.

At any rate, it's not a bad thing by any means. The QP's a very popular pickup and many people dig what it does. Let it shine :D

Zoobiedood and SteveCS like this.
  11. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    I would agree, I have an SPB-3 in an old plywood Samick bass, and it sounds really good. I could never get along with it in my Fenders. I prefer the SPB-2 and the Dimarzio Willpower these days.

12. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    I just (last month) installed them in my Aerodyne, I love them!.
    I think what so many players do is swap pickups and then (because we're creatures of habit) stick with settings on the amp & bass they used with the original pups. You do need to adjust (as you really should room to room anyway) to dial in the closest to perfect tone that you're looking for. Once I did that I had what is, for me, for NOW, the tone I'm looking for & I'm getting raves on the sound.
    Yes, they pack a punch, yes the low end is strong, no you won't lose your mids and vanish in the mix (if anything i'm slicing through like hot steel through butter now). Sure, tone is in the hands, but you do need to dial it in as well. fiddle around a bit and try different settings when you can to experiment.

ctmullins and Zoobiedood like this.
  13. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Should have gone with Bartolini's.
    QP's have just a bit too much beef for my taste.
    :D

<flame suit on>

14. ZenG

ZenG

Dec 13, 2013
    Near the fridge
    I had the SPB-3 P-pup on a Jag SS. Took it off and put the stock pup back in. Then put the SPB-3 along with the matching Jazz pup into an RBX170.

Took both of those out and put the stock pups back in.

Then put EMG Geezer Butler set in the Jag SS. Took those out and put the stock ones back in.

EMG and SD set are now sitting in my parts drawer.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Send me your GZR set and all will be right with the world :D

ZenG likes this.
  16. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Thinking if throwing the spb-3 in my hwy1 (or making it a PJ, possibly with qp's). Only concern is how it will work with certain pedals like a woolly mammoth.

17. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    I have them in a Precision, a fretless jazz, fretted jazz, and a 5 string jazz... awesome pickups.

18. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Well, it would hit your fuzz a lot harder and emphasize a lot of mids in there. It is a really bold sound, but so is the Woolly Mammoth. The SPB-3 would just make it more.

jamersonburton likes this.
  19. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Some love them some hate them,go figure.For me the SPB-2 is just about right....for me.Like the look of the lager poles tho.

Zoobiedood and Slinger like this.
  20. Same here, I put an SBJ-2 and an SBP-2 on my Jag SS and I think they strike the best balance. Smooth if required, a bit of grunt if that's called for, but never too much.

Zoobiedood likes this.