1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any love for SWR Workingmans 300?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uncle K, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've got a Workingmans 300 and I'm quite pleased with the tone, however it doesn't seem to be very loud. Right now I'm running it thru a Peavey PA cab which only has a sensitivity of 96dB. I've been thinking of getting two SWR Workingpro 15 cabs, or maybe some GK Neo 15's. I'm really starting to think the SWR is "my sound."

So my question is: will the SWR head be loud enough for venues that will hold, let's say, 200-300 people?

2. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Hey there, the workingman it's pretty good both for power and preamp section.
    It just depend which kind of cab you connect. I can tell you in my experience with the Workingman products line, I had 10 combo pretty small.
    Well I can tell you that when I was playing it the power wasn't too loud but when I bought another 10 extension cab the things change big time. The power was enough to play in small-medium size venue and have a not bad monitoring.
    So checkout well the tech specifications and connect the right cabinets. And SWR tone is one of the most versatile one.
    www.enricogaletta.com
    on YouTube
    on Twitter
    Study Bass online with me

3. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    this is my working rig. I will bring it into any room. Its a workingman's 160. The early workingman' stuff was solid and underrated.

Attached Files:

4. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Thanks, guys. I'm really happy to hear your opinions.

5. bb03

bb03

Mar 1, 2009
    CT
    I've owned both the Workingman's 160, and the 300...both are great amps! They're on the low side of the power spectrum, especially compared to today's micro amps, but they have a ton of great features, and are a great deal for the money. If you use some efficient cabs (2x15, 4x10, even a 2x12) you should be fine...extra speakers do more than extra watts. Don't be afraid to let the gain light blink a little.

Also, as great as the aural enhancer sounds solo, using it to cut mids will only hurt with the band...I'd suggest leaving it off, and boosting the mids at 200 hz. My favorite thing about these amps is that the master will keep adding volume all the way to "10". These are the only amps I've had where this is the case...most amp's masters are maxed out volume wise between noon, and 3 o'clock, which makes you think you've got more, but you really don't.:(

Enjoy the amp...you've got a made in USA classic SWR!

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I have that exact amp in the closet. Used it for many years. Great sound, but I remember always feeling like I had to push it more than I would've liked to keep up with the band. I used several different cab configurations with it, and no matter what I always ended up having to run the master up to 2 or 3 o'clock. Which I guess was ok, it never failed on me, but still seemed like it should have had a little more on tap.