1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any luck getting better E str definition with bridge change on a short scale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by randomhitz, Mar 30, 2009.

1. randomhitz

randomhitz

Feb 10, 2007
    I have a lovely little natural ash SX Jazz short scale that I upgraded the pickups. tuners, and pots. Plays and sounds great except for the slight thuddiness of the E compared to the other strings. I've felt this to be a problem with every short scale I've tried. I'm wondering if anyone has had some success with this problem by going to a heavier bridge?

Thanks
    Randy

2. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Hi Randy,

I didn't notice a change w/a bridge swap on my SX short Jag. The best things I found were to adjust the E action a little higher than I normally would, and to use a slightly heavier gauge on the E.

Good luck,
    GT.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've never had a definition problem with any of my shortscales, including the SX. Are you giving the strings a good witness point at the saddles and nut?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Changing strings and setup can definitely change the E-string definition. Changing pickups may sometimes change the definition. Changing the bridge will have the least effect.

5. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Higher action and heavier gauge is the way to go. I changed the bridge on mine so I could string through the body. I don't think this helped the sound, but now I can use a .130 string from a standard 5-string set as my E, because the extra length is not a problem.

6. bearfoot

bearfoot SUSPENDED

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I've monkeyed with the setup and strings on a shortscale bass of mine, to no avail. The problem seems to be the bass itself. My workhorse P/J bass, with 34" scale, produces fundamentals on all strings, unplugged. The shorty produces little or no fundamental on the low E, so there's nothing to amplify.
    I've never thought to use a .130. I did raise the action on the E side (floating bridge) as much as possible, which had no effect. The bass just doesn't vibrate with the E.
    It's terrible, because the overall tone of the bass is phenomenal, the fundamentals on the A are almost nauseating. But the E has no balls.

7. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    Get a higher tension e string. This is different than gauge.

Some brands are higher tension. And flats are usually higher tension.

For instance rotosound flats are low tension. Daddario chrome flats are higher tension

r

8. randomhitz

randomhitz

Feb 10, 2007
    I feel like the problem is both lack of fundamental and duller timbre on the high end. The set I'm running right now is just standard light gauge nickel D'addarios. I'm wondering if a steel high tension 110 might do the trick

9. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    ya, i've got a short scale (mustang) and i definitely found a difference going to a higher tension set