Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Luthier have a secret stash of Lane poors?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ModulusAcacia, Feb 20, 2003.

1. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    i think the title says it all. I've posted in gear wanted, but sometimes I know that luthier's have a secret stash of the mystical hologramed pick-ups they're not using. Lemme know!

peace,
    Justin k.

2. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The key word is "yet." I have some, but haven't used them yet. I imagine most luthiers are pack rats as far as materials go (at least I am). They do pop up on ebay once in a while. There was a J-set up there not too long ago.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    please pardon my ignorance about these pickups, but are they really great or what ? I know nothing about them.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yes...but sound is perception and opinion.

However, sales don't lie. Before Lane Poor disappeared from the planet, I was given an 8 month wait on a pair I didn't order soon enough, unfortunately.

I contacted about every music store on the web I could find trying to find some in Feb. of 2001 (right after he couldn't be found any longer), and the 5 or 6 I could find were already installed on basses.

I think Modulus had him under contract at one point and were gobbling up his output towards the end.

John Turner has some Poors on his Conklins.

5. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    There's really nothing magical about them, but to my ear though, they're just the best sounding pick-up ever built. I've used everything out there and Lane Poor's just sound the best for me. They're really smooth and even sounding, none of the treble like EMG's, and a little less warm than barts. I guess the best way to describe them is just a clear sound across the whole spectrum of the bass. Even more even than Aeros (or at least the set of aeros I have in my main acacia). That's all, just my thoughts on them. :)

Justin K.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    thanks for the info. I'm considering Aeros for my next bass (4 string soaps.)