Any luthiers in central Wisconsin or Madison area? (fingerboard coating)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steamboat, Mar 26, 2001.

1. I'm thinking of having the fingerboard of my fretless Stingray 5 coated (I'm not too knowledgeable on fingerboard coatings, so I don't know what it would be coated with). I have it strung with flats now and it produces a really warm tone with a hint of upright bass.. but I guess that's not really what I'm looking for musically at the moment. The tone it had with rounds is closer to what I am looking for, but I could actually see wear on the board that I was creating, and that scared the crap out of me. I think a coating would protect my fingerboard and get me closer to the tone I want.

I'd also consider taking my fretted Peavey to someone to have my frets dressed (or refretted.. but I doubt that is really necessary) and also a full setup done on both basses.

I goto school in Madison (I have no car here, so somewhere I could get to by bus would be great :) ) and I'd be in Wisconsin Rapids during the summer. In the summer I would have a car, so my potential luthier radius would be increased quite a bit.

I think I might contact US Masters (a custom shop in nearby Middleton) about the work, but from their website it seems that they are just instrument builders, and don't do any maintenance.. but we'll see.
  2. just pushing this up to the top..
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you want a really hard coating on it, you could send your bass up to Pedulla and have them put a diamondkote on it, which would last for a very very long time without worries. I think its about $200-300, but its cheaper than constantly getting the fretboard reoiled and dressed. I'd do that.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Angus, I think that price is only for Pedulla instruments, and I'm not even sure if they will do it to other instruments at ANY price.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've heard of them doing it for other instruments.
  6. I think I actually remember seeing that they will do other instruments for a higher price on the Pedulla site.. thanks.. I'll keep that in mind if no one around here is found. One of their coatings would actually be pretty killer.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, if I wanted poly coated fretboard, that's who i would get to do it.

If you have ever played one of their Buzz basses, you know what I'm talking about.
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

In Lacrosse, WI there is an amazing Gu*tar shop called Dave's Guitar shop. They have a huge I mean huge selection of vintage amps, instruments etc. They also have a large repair shop. I've never had major repairs done their, but have had numerous minor things done. Check out their site at
  9. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    According to my guitar player, who is the most nitpicking, fussy player I've ever run into, the best in Wisconsin is Denny Rowan<sp??> in Milwaukee. I can get telephone # if you're interested...