1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any luthiers or repair-people looking to relocate?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DanielleMuscato, Feb 27, 2008.

1. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    (I'm not sure if this goes here on in Misc, so I guess here; hope it's the right one!)

I live in Columbia, MO USA, population ~100,000 or ~150k if you count the surrounding metro area. We've got a thriving music scene, since we're located in the center of the state, exactly half-way between Kansas City and St Louis, so a lot of the big names in music come here on their way from one to the other while they're on tour. The University of Missouri's main campus (enrollment 28,000) is here, so there are plenty of big campus music events and *lots* of local bands per capita.

The reason I'm posting all of this is that Columbia has a serious shortage of repair-people and luthiers. There is only one shop in town (a one-man shop at that) who's capable of doing Buzz Feiten setups or any kind of real repair beyond a simple truss-rod adjustment and setting intonation - the rest of the shops all outsource their repairs to him!

There is waiting list of several months up to six months for any kind of major repair, and nobody is equipped to do double-bass work, as far as I know (even though the University of Missouri's School of Music is here!). I've lived here on-and-off for 20 years and I only know of 2 luthiers who live in Columbia, who both have long waiting lists, too. Just today I picked up a guitar that was awaiting a Buzz Feiten retrofit. After sitting on a waiting list for 6 months, I asked for it back so I can take it to a shop in St Louis instead :rolleyes:

So if you're a decent repairman, and you're thinking about moving, looking for a nice Midwestern town to raise your kids and more business than you can handle, please check out Columbia! :help: