Any Mac gurus in the house?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jan 23, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Anyone know where I can get ahold of Apple hardware diagnostic software? And am I correct in assuming that this diagnostic software is not released to consumers, but only to authorized techs? If that's the case then I probably need to find a copy on a 'warez' site or usenet group. I don't frequent such places and suggestions would be welcome, if that's where I'll need to look.

Also, the machine I'm having trouble with is a Yosemite G3 tower, shipped with OS 8.6 (I think) but now running 9.0.2. Would a current release of the diagnostic software cover it, or do I need an older, hardware-specific version?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Tech tool pro is a about the best I've used.
    the newest will work with any PPC Mac at least

Hardware diag software has never been supplied.. that I can remember. What's the issue? I worked pre-sales tech for Apple's online store/ website when that box shipped
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm a mac dork though I can't give you any input on this current issue, I am definatly a mac zealot and will probably be able to help with any other issue you may have.

techtool is a great program for diagnostics
    also...mac os installation discs should have some built in hardware diagnostics least they did with OS 9.
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What I'm looking for is a copy of the hardware diagnostic CD that comes with the Applecare Professional Support Tools package.

Found out that I could indeed buy this direct from Apple - but it's a $1,000 package. The machine isn't worth nearly that.

5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hmmm...i might be able to get a copy if we have one at work. let me see on monday.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    My brand spankin new powerbook came with an "Apple Hardware Test" cd. Don't know exactly what it does though. have you tried contacting apple?
  7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Jason and Phat - promising news, indeed! Thank you both. I'll check around and see what I can find over the weekend...

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I put the hardware test cd in and here's what the readme file says:

Apple Hardware Test is a diagnostic tool for detecting problems with your computer's internal hardware components such as the logic board, memory, modem, video RAM, and the Apple AirPort card. It does not check externally connected hardware components such as USB devices or FireWire devices.

Apple Hardware Test for PowerBook version 1.2.3 is distributed only with the Apple PowerBook(FireWire) and PowerBook G4; and will not work with any other computer.

If you suspect your computer has a hardware problem, the information provided by Apple Hardware Test can help identify the problem. If Apple Hardware Test detects a problem, an error code will be displayed. Please make a note of the error code before pursuing support options. If no hardware failure is detected, the problem may be software related.

I would burn you a copy but it only works on powerbooks so it wouldn't help you at all. :(