Any Makers of Double-Neck Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Jan 9, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I've seen a couple on Ebay (none right now, that I can see), but I'd be interested in finding one. Anybody have on or know of a maker of one?

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Galveston mostly, there isn't TOO much of a market for one. Mostly gimmick, a lot of back pain too.
  3. Rickenbacker's 4080 is a guitar/bass doubleneck. John Turner has a Conklin Doubleneck which is a fretted/fretless 7 string. Basically, many builders will build you one, but it will likely be very expensive, very heavy, and not extremely useful for most applications.
  4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    To be honest, I was always thinking of it being more of a novelty type of thing. I guess I would prefer if it were of basswood or graphite or some really light material.

A double-neck 7 string fretted/fretless would be a sight to see. PLEASE post pics, if you know of any, just for the sake of showing this forum what is possible. :bassist:

5. I would kill for a 6 fretted/fretless...Carvin used to make 'em and when I contatced them, they said they no longer can make them. I would hate to go private and get one built. Maybe Yamaha...
  6. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Actually JT has both of those.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Chris Benavente has made them... this one is a 5 string fretless and a doubled 8
  8. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    here is the link on JT's :eek:
  9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mark Egan use to play a 4 frettless/8 frettless doubleneck Pedula based on the MVP/Buzz body styles . They cataloged it for while, can't recall if it's on there page now or not. I believe Mike also offered a 4 frettless/ 4 fretted doubleneck, I'm sure he'd still build you whatever you wanted . By the way, What are todays Megamillions lottery numbers? Tell me I'll get one and demo it for you!
  10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

Enjoy ;)
  11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I checked the web page and came up with this:
  12. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Were the Steinberger ones heavy?
  13. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
  14. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Ric hasn't made these in at least a decade.

Before you buy one, think about what you'd use it for and if there is an effect and/or technology solution that would suffice.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  16. [​IMG]

I don't know who made this one but looks cool to me :bassist:
  17. And for the neat price of $9995 only, you can get this lovely Alembic 1978 Double Neck Custom:
    Alembic Doubleneck!

18. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Fender Custom shop. I kinda remember someone posted it last year. I forgot who they made it for.It was a freind of a TB'er.
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fhodson posted it. It's a Fender custom shop for Tim Commerford (sp?) of Audioslave.