Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any medical experts out there? re: caffiene addiction /withdrawl

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, in an effort to stop being the fat slob that I am, I have started eating healthier, and have stopped drinking soda. I drink way too much soda, and I know it's not healthy, so I stopped three days ago.

The headache started 2 nights ago, and it's been pretty bad since then. I have taken over the counter pain killers, ibuprofen (sp?), but to no avail. The headaches are pretty bad, and I always feel hot and sweaty.

Any ideas how I can ease the headaches? Also, any idea how long this will last?

Thanks for the help-

Nick

2. The only thing that will fix it is caffiene. Sorry dude, but if it's any consolation, the headaches shouldn't last too terribly long. If you really wanted to be rid of the headaches now, you could probably take a caffiene pill of some sort, but that would probably be ill advised. You'd be better off just chugging water and just bearing with the pain for a little bit. But at the end, you shouldn't be addicted anymore...and that's a good thing.

3. I have been fighting the caffeine addiction myself, and the headaches are gone. They lasted a couple of days, but if you follow the advice already given, you can overcome it. Now if I could just get over the tiredness. Without the extra kick I got frome drinking 2-3 cans of pop everyday, I have been awfully sluggish. Good luck, and stay away from the pop!

jtbp

4. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks guys, it's been since Monday night since I've had any caffiene. The headaches are still there, but getting pregressively less painful. I've been drinking lots of juices and water, and I am slowly feeling better.

JTBP- I'm fighting the tiredness too, I fell asleep 3 times in school yesterday... man, I'm missing my 24 oz Mountain Dew in the morning....

SMASH- I agree... Caffiene and Nictine are two completely legal drugs. Both are way over used and abused, and cause very much damage. It's wierd how the laws work, isn't it.... :meh:

DPK- Yup, I'm just bearing with it, it will be over soon (I hope).

Thanks guys.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Wait till you start reading up on processed sugar. :eek:

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I know your pain, literally, as I hail from a country where more coffee is consumed per person than anywhere - a day without a cup of black is begging for pain :eek:

How about having a cup of coffee? Yeah it's caffeine but you don't have to have any sugar in it so I guess it's healthier. I'm about to switch to tea though, I've been getting stomach ache from coffee lately so I guess you can drink too much of that stuff too.

Oh, my friend told me that some kid in the school where he was at the time had OD'd on caffeine pills, which he had popped like twenty or so. Apparently the kid started to sweat like hell, rapidly changed his colour from pale to red and back again and started to gurgle up some white foam :eek: He did turn out all right in the end, though.

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Here are some of the most important facts about caffeine and its relationship to headache.

Most people feel the effects of caffeine within 30 minutes.
    Generally, the effects of caffeine last 3 to 5 hours.
    The average American consumes about 200-300 mg of caffeine daily, or the equivalent of about 2-3 cups of coffee.
    People who get headaches should clearly understand how caffeine affects their headaches.

But there are some medicinal benefits to caffeine.Adding 130 mg of caffeine to a regular, two-tablet dose of common ingredients found pain relievers (aspirin and acetaminophen) makes them relieve headache pain about 40% better than they do without caffeine. Caffeine also helps your body absorb these medications, allowing you to get back to your daily life faster.
    Because analgesics work better when they have caffeine added, you may be able to take less medicine when you have a headache. And because even non-prescription medications are real medicine with the potential for side effects, taking less reduces the risks associated with inappropriate use.

According to both the World Health Organization and the American Psychiatric Association, caffeine is considered safe, and in no way resembles other addictive or habit-forming drugs that lead to severe physical and social consequences.
    Significant caffeine abuse has not been reported by any culture in the world.
    When used according to label directions, headache medicines with caffeine pose no risk of addiction or dependence.
    Technically, a person needs to use caffeine every day and reach a monthly total of at least 15 grams before they will experience caffeine withdrawal headache.
    Withdrawal symptoms occur when people consume 500 mg (about 5 cups of coffee) or more daily, but they have been reported after long-term, daily intake of 100 mg or less per day.

Withdrawal is a bitch. But it should not last more than a week or so. Best thing to do is to limit your sugar intake. Fluctuations in blood sugar levels can make cravings get worse which can bring on the headaches. You may even want to eat several small meals as opposed to a few larger one to stay a little more even.

Caffeine plays with you adrenal glands, so take some B vitamins to help ease them back into busisness.

Mike

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    good read, thanks!

*patiently waits for second daily 10 cup pot of joe to finish brewing*

so, caffeine's safe huh? well at least that's some good news :cool:

9. On a related note....Dr. Dan's cheap aphrodisiac recipie: Combine (1) 200mg caffiene tablet with (2) 500 mg Siberian Ginseng tablets. For a quick hit, combine with (1) can of your favorite pop. Serves 2 very nicely for an evening of sexy sexy fun.

*Dr. Dan is not responsible for misuse of his unpatented recipies.

10. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    ODing on caffiene isn't fun, an american friend of mine was up all night studying for her final exams, and ate around 20 caffiene pills, instead of taking her exams, she spent the next morning in the hospital. Another friend of mine took about 10 pills combined with alcohol, and spent the night vomiting in the shower.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's the People like you that....grrrr.

:p

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Try caffiene free soda... there is a tid bit of caffiene i think, but in moderation it is not enough to hinder the process of getting off of it.

13. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm... 5 cups a day, I drank up to 3 or 4 24 oz bottles of Mountain Dew or Pepsi per day, so I guess that a little more than that.

I will try to limit my sugar intake. To be honest, the only high sugar thing I really consumed was the soda, I'm not much of a candy/dessert food person.

I'll get some b vitamins as well.

Thanks for the knowledge and advice Dr. Mike :)

14. that crap sucks...

but,to the point...I dun really get any addictions are anything...

I think when I reached the age of 10,my body replaced blood with Pepsi...

:oops:

15. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, that sounds pretty bad.

One of my friends sometimes puts coffee grounds under his tounge when he needs a quick pickup... He get's pretty jittery, and he wonders why :meh:

Thanks for the kind words SMASH, I'm getting there. The headaches are worse at night, and start getting bad at about 4 or 5. As every night passes, they get less and less painful, so I am getting better.

*sigh*

Thanks for the concern :)

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I go on and off of coffee.

But I never realyl get that addicted.

I usually just get one cup a week, unless I'm at home, where I make it whenever I want.

I would always get Large double mochas(sometimes triples), I figured, I don't drink much coffee, so when I do, might as well have it kick my ass.

I have a friend, who drinks about 40 oz. every morning!, he has this one enormous cup, that he drinks two cups from.

He is the son of a coffee producer/distributor so you wonder why he drinks so much :p

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I saw that one SMASH!

I'm watching you

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Woah! calm yourself m'kay... sounds like it still might be a bit of an issue.

I was being sarcastic... I drink decaffinated soda only now (it tastes the same as caffinated) and I do drink regular coffee... about 50 oz worth of weakly brewed, light with 2% milk.
    (I guess I get about a 12 oz black Starbucks worth of caffine daily)

word of the day folks:

Moderation

;) <--- and I remembered him this time

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    it's all good SMASH! you just sounded like you were running on a 12 pack of Jolt ;)

I was actually cracking on the "powers that be" and their not really knowing what's good for us... seems every week something good has turned bad and something deadly becomes a cure all.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Nick: 12oz of Mtn. Dew has 50mg of caffeine, so four 24oz bottles would be 400mg, about four cups of coffee.

I usually get between 100mg-200mg a day via either three or four cans of Mtn. Dew or Dr. Pepper (has around 35mg per can I think), or a double/triple espresso plus a can or two of pop. I've had headaches that seemed to be caused by not getting enough caffeine - they last about 24 hours usually.

Smash: I hear you to some extent - the USA as a whole is quite addicted to caffeine, and I think it would be interesting to see how things changed around here if everyone stopped - but you know you can OD on just about anything :)