Any metalheads are out there

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Jan 21, 2002.

1. A lot

34 vote(s)
  2. Every now and then

19 vote(s)
  3. I hate metal

2 vote(s)
  1. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi everybody,

I was just curious to see how many of you fellow bassists listened to metal on a regular basis.

Anyone that has listened to any metal recently knows that there are some very nifty bass players on the scene.

What are your favourite metal bands/bassists/albums/songs?
  2. I hardly listen to any metal but i play in a metal band. I also write some metal now and then. I just stay away from the 80s version of it...
  3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I voted "Every now and then" but in truth, I hate most metal. It's just uninteresting and overdone.
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I voted for "a lot" but I listen to metal just as much as I listen to other genres of music. That being said I listen to A LOT of music.
  5. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    how can you say uninteresting? have you ever listened to the guitar lines? they're not 4 chords like everything else. the solos are long and intricate. what about the drums? listen at how many things those guys can do at once, not just speed, but the originality and complication of the drumlines. and the basslines--they're fast, but they're so fun to listen to, and it doesn't always follow the guitar line. the singer is more talented than any other, in that he can SCREAM his heart out, and most of them have VERY good singing voices as well. it gives me chills to listen to some of them. and go to a metal or hardcore show. its FUN, its EXCITING, the adrenaline is rushing, even if you arent moshing or up on stage playing--thats more than most bands can say.
  6. I'm definitely into metal (along with many other types of music now). I like melodic death more than anything else -- bands like Opeth, In Flames, Soilwork, etc.

For some reason you don't strike me as the type of person that would be into metal, Contra. Certainly a welcome surprise!
  7. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I said MOST metal. There are a few bands I really like that are metal that don't bore me. But when I said uninteresting and overdone, it's just that everyone(almost) today is copying someone else, and doing a bad job at it.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I listen to a lot of metal, nothing you'd hear on the radio really, but if Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, Candiria, old Slayer, various new stuff (yep, I like Mudvayne, so sue me) counts then metal is a genre I enjoy as well. I also liten to hip hop, jazz, R&B, classical (a lot of string ensembles) and anything else I feel interested in. So, yes if it doesn't have to be metal exclusively.
  9. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    ok, maybe i got a little worked up. i used to HATE metal... then i actually listened to it. people seem to be labelling band wrongfully with "metal"--we like to call those NU-METAL--rap metal, the 4 chord kind where the guy screams and just sounds a little too constipated, and then the other guy in the background is confused as to if he's at a jay-z concert, or if he's actually got REAL LIVE instruments in his band...

metal is like da5id hex said--in flames, opeth, soilwork. and then there's others like avenged sevenfold, from autumn to ashes, or if u want more hardcore: poison the well. all of which are extrememly talented and amazing to listen to. i hate to say it, but the mainstream "metal" is nothing compared to the underground.

ahh! how can i forget the legendary slayer and pantera!!!
  10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Pantera?? HISSSSSSSSS

The metal I DO like usually falls in the black metal category, BTW....
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Because this is more general than a specific recording by a psecific artist or band, Iam shooting this topic to "Miscellananeous."
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I like "old school" metal. Bands like Anvil, Exciter, Helstar, Witchfinder General, Savatage, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Piledriver, Manowar, Exodus, Slayer(the Dave Lombardo years), Stormtroopers of Death.....

Not really into newer metal,and absolutely NO interest in rap metal.
  13. Don't forget old-school Metallica (Kill 'Em All to ...And Justice for All). On one hand, it's too bad 'Tallica went hard rock when they released the Black Album...on the other hand, I listen to almost every kind of music, so I like both their styles. :p :D

Some more recent metal bands...

Living Sacrifice, Underoath, Mudvayne (it's true, they are a FORM of metal and they can kick a lot of metal act's asses), Zao, Fear Factory (eh...not really new), and....I'm so going to be flamed for this....Kittie. *runs and hides with his Talena Atfield plushie* :oops:

Just kidding ;)
  14. I listen to a fair bit, but I listen to other stuff too!!
  15. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, I don't really dig the rap/metal hybrid either, although bands like Korn deserve credit for at least having some skill.

Myself, as far as metal goes I am more into death, grindcore, techno-metal and black metal, although I listen to everything in any style I can get my ears on. There's something to be learned from everything out there.

For those who have said they aren't really into metal, you may be hearing the wrong bands. If I'd only heard mainstream metal I'd probably avoid it too. Check out the underground stuff - that's where you'll hear out-of this-world technical ability, great songwriting and intensity, concerts that are like clinics, etc.

Another thing I like about underground metal is that, in a lot of cases, the bands are made up of totally cool people (even the guitar players and vocalists) that don't have overblown egos. They know what it's like to have to work for success, and treat it as a privilege and not a right. Which is as it should be.
  16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I listen to metal, but I don´t really think about WHAT KIND of metal. I don´t really care.
    I like Pantera, Mudvayne, Dimmu Borgir and Homo Iratus and the old Metallica and I don´t think about what type of metal it is.
  17. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    oh god, rage on hardcore and metal! and i mean genuine metal ...the list is endless, but i've tried to narrow it down for my own sake as well as you, the poor readers :D

At The Gates
    Cannibal Corpse (how i love this band)
    Cave In
    Children Of Bodom
    Cryptopsy (Flo Mounier is my hero)
    Death (R.I.P Chuck :()
    Dillinger Escape Plan
    Entombed (one of my favourite bands)
    In Flames
    Napalm Death
    Opeth (all i can say is "whoa")
    Pissing Razors
    Rockbitch (what a show .. phwoar!)
    Slayer (the new album is pox, IMO)
    The Haunted

*pheeeee-hew* many more ... :)
  18. I've ben into metal for a relatively short time, and obviously at first I had to listen to the mainstream stuff. However, the first metal CD I ever bought was Fear Factory's 'Obsolete' digipack. I went from commercial dance music to FF overnight. It was liberatng. I followed that with Pantera, Coal Chamber and Deftones. Time went on, and I heard more bands through the wonders of mp3. Now I'm listening to stuff that surpasses commercial nu-metal by far, such as Disturbed, Korn or Drowning Pool etc. I'm getting a lot into Metalcore right now, but I'm still looking for a death or black metl band that catches my ear. I'm with In Flames and The Haunted at the mo, but I'm going to give these bands you guys are talking about a listen. I like Meshuggah and Skinlab too. I'd like Machine Head if they were still releasing stuff like Burn My Eyes or The More Things Change, but I probably won't get into them. I've got a band list here:

All Out War
    At The Gates
    Buried Alive
    Coal Chamber
    Devin Townsend
    Fear Factory
    The Haunted
    In Flames
    Lamb Of God
    Rage Against The Machine
    Raging Speedhorn
    System Of A Down
  19. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey *ToNeS*... ever seen Cryptopsy live? It's disgusting - they play EVEN FASTER, if you can believe that!
  20. i used to be into metal in a BIG way. first of all it was Iron Maiden, the band who inspired me to pick up the bass! then there was korn+slipknot but only for a short time when i was always really moody and needed some angry music, then there was RATM which i got into in a big way and learnt every single bass line from all the albums (although i can't remember most of them now, short memory!), but recently i've been getting into the punk scene, especially ska, but metal will always be a part of me