Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any MIJ Jazz Bass Special owners out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SamHD, Jun 21, 2005.

1. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    If so, can you please take a pic of your control cavity and show me? I'm trying to figure-out if what I have in mine is original.

Thanks!

Here's mine... :)

[​IMG]

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    You say Jazz or Precision?

3. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Jazz. It has "Jazz Bass Special" printed on the headstock. From what I understand, this model was made from '84-ish to '89-ish, and it's a Japan model.

Has a "B" type neck from what I gather, making it a cross between a Jazz and Precision?

Fun Bass, just trying to get my electronics figured out.

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've got four of them - 3 stock. Your's certainly LOOKS stock (other than the bridge). I'll try to get a pic up in the next day or so.

5. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks nysbob! Sounds like you really like that Bass model!!

Don't blame you. If I find a newer one of that same color, I'd probably pick it up too.

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You rang?

'86 MIJ Power Jazz Special
    [​IMG]

Fender had a bunch of different configurations for these basses. I can't see any details on your pic, so I'll explain what's on mine:

Two volume knobs

One tone control (several of the MIJ Specials have something Fender called a TBX tone control circuit that pulled off the higher bright frequencies when rotated counter-clockwise)

A pickup selectro switch - down is bridge pup, up is neck pup, middle is both

Mine also has an ATE (active tone enhancement) switch that kicks in the active pups. Three modes, passive (up position), midrange boost (middle) and low frequency boost (bottom)
    [​IMG]

Depending on how yours is set up, you may not have the ATE circuitry. It kind of looks like an add-on .... maybe that's what you're seeing that causing you to wonder if it is real.

I have a manual for these basses, PM me with a fax # and I'll send it to you if you want it :cool:

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    [​IMG]

If you can find a better Fender out there for under $500, I'll eat it.

8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    100% agree :D

9. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks Pointbass!

I found a manual, I think. Please check it out. If yours is different than that, please let me know and I'll PM you my FAX.

Jazz Special Manual?

I think I may have that TBX tone switch you mention, which is really why I'm asking this question (I also have a post in the Pickup section).

I think this is the TBX, but not sure about all those resistors on it, on if they should or shouldn't be there...

[​IMG]

Great Collection nysbob!!

10. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    SamHD,

Yup, that's the manual I have ...........

Someone with a lot more electronics experience than me will have to answer your questions about the switch :meh:

And Yes nysbob, very nice collection :bassist:

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks guys - I obviously like them too.

Here's a pic of the stock passive cavity - hope it's helpful.

[​IMG]

The only resistor I see is on the tone pot.

12. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks nysbob, very much appreciated!

Looks like my parts may be original. I don't have the bass in front of me, but from what I recall, that 3-way switch looks identical, and the pots appear to be stock as well. The capacitor may have been replaced on mine, and they added an extra resistor? (wonder why)

That one looks very clean compared to mine. My cavity is a wreck. They changed the jack, and completely chewed-up the hole. Also, my wires are all over the place.

Thanks again.

13. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    My pleasure! Congrats on getting a great bass - I love that pewter finish - my main player is my fretless in that color. It's also the only one I have that's been modded - Bartolinis.

The stock pickups are just fine too - I have sone many a session with my fretted. :D

14. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've got a red fretless '86 Jazz Special, I believe the necks are Jazz size (1.5") at the nut. Great bass, I'm the original owner of mine. I've never been in the control cavity, in fact I've still got the sticky paper on the control cavity cover (kept it on at first to discourage scratches, and it just stayed on forever). The black hardware apparently has a tendency to bubble (I read that someplace and mine certainly has that characteristic). Most famous proponent was Duff McKagen of Guns and Roses. Thanks for the link to the manual Sam.

15. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I love that color too. Did they only come in White, Black and Pewter?

Mine has a dingy tint to it. Looks as if the clear coat yellowed, which makes the color look even nicer IMO... especially in dim lighting.

I also changed the pickups, which is when I started getting concerned about the pot situation. SD Quarter Pounders P & J.... Sounds like a beast!!

Came with a Schaller P (rusted, but still worked) and I believe the stock J.

Sounded fine, but having the pickups unbalanced was causing the switch to act funny. Meaning, having the switch in the middle or moving it to the J would give almost the same sound - strange, but that's what was happening.

16. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Ok, looks like they came in Red too... (we must been typing at the same time)

Permagrin, Is that Pearl Red or just Solid Red?

17. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    It's got a sparkle to the red, but I wouldn't call it metallic.

18. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    That looks very nice. Man, I want all colors now...

nysbob, you're missing the red... get on it!

19. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    There are two types of white - straight white & a pearlescent. I've also seen 'em in red & a kind of turqouise...I think that's it color-wise. None of mine have the black finished neck - I don't think I'd care for that.

www.thebearsmusic.com

20. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    "Black finished neck"? You mean on the back of the neck? 'cause the headstocks are all black no matter what the body color. Yeah, I wouldn't like that either. The back of mine is clear gloss, but not terribly glossy (closer to satin). IIRC it has a RW skunk stripe.