Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Modulus players out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Molan, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Molan

Molan

Dec 13, 2003
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum so this may be an old question - if so then apologies.

I play a custom build Modulus Flea (built for Randy Hope-Taylor to take out with Jeff Beck) & a Modulus Jazz.

Just wondered how many other Modulus players there were out there & which models you play / what you think of them etc.?

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    There are quite a few Modulus players around here, you could try doing a search as they are talked about quite frequently.

I play a Modulus Quantum 5 with Bart pups and preamp. I am extremely happy with it.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Modulus Quantum 6 With Barts here.
    Modified Series/Parallel/Single switches for each pickup.

4. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I play a four string quantum from '96, and I love it.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm quite fond of my Modulus Quantum 6 with EMG's. Great bass. :cool:

6. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I have a '91 Quantum 5, bartolinis, green velvet finish. Over 12 years of constant playing it has held up incredibly well, still looks almost new.
    The fact that it never goes out of tune has really spoiled me. Truss rod- what's that? hehe

7. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    My latest:

Modulus Q5, maple burl top w/ EMGs. I keep trying to quit playing the bass, but I just can't do it. I'm hook for life I guess :)

I was VERY hesitant to get the Q5 because of the string spacing. But to be honest, it was easy to adjust after spending a month with it (during a musidojo class on R&L hand technique). I don't do much slapping, but that will take a little bit of time to adjust as well. Now the problem for me is switching back between the MTD and Q5, but it's worth it really. If (when) I start playing with a band, I will probably play the Q5 more since it NEVER goes out of tune. I am a freak of nature, I generate soooooo much heat and sweat of my hands that every wood neck bass I have ever owned has gone out of tune during a gig (especially out door gigs).

I thought that I wouldn't like the EMGs, but they aren't too bad really. The Modulus generally sounds OK through my Eden rig, but not exactly what I was looking for. I blame my Eden metro, it sounds pretty good through my Tascam BT-CD1 and drum machine. I need a new pre amp or something.

The picture really doesn't do it justice. I wish I could learn to take better ones.

[​IMG]

8. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    2001 Quantum 4 w/EMG's and 3 band eq. It's my main stage bass. Alder body w/a walnut top. It has a trussrod that I adjusted when I bought the bass last June. It has'nt budged since, and I live an area with extreme climate changes. I was'nt really looking for a new bass, this one found me. I'd wanted a Q-4 for years, and I passed on one years back. I'm very glad I did'nt pass on this one. :)

9. Just got my first digital camera.

Modulus Q5 sweet spot.

Just a question. But has anybody upgraded their electronics on their modulus? I don't like the supper hot 18v on mine.[​IMG]

10. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Beautiful basses guys. Does anyone have a "Wide Five"? Or have any pix of one?

11. tyjacks

tyjacks Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    Has anyone played or seen a Modulus Q5 WIDE neck.
    This is a Q6 neck with five strings...

12. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I' ve yet to see anyone with a Wide-Five. I'm sure there must be a a few out there. I don't understand why Modulus just doesn't make a 19mm version. The standard spacing (17mm) is too close for SOME players and the Wide-Five is TOO wide for MOST players. This way you'll have a REAL choice if you don't like the standard spacing. The Wide -Five is 22.25mm. A 5.25mm difference. That's a HUGE difference.

13. Molan- Whats custom about your Flea bass?
    Any pics of it...

I'm just jealous of all your beautiful basses :meh:

Glenn

14. tyjacks

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    You hit the NAIL on the head, I talked to Modulus about this and their response was that it was not cost effective to make the mold for the carbon fiber neck. They explained that the total cost to develop the mold was over $150,000.00 US. I really love the Quantum bass but the 17mm spacing is tough for us guys with longer fingers. I wish they would develop a Q5 with standard 19-20mm spacing.

15. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    tyjacks....They might not think it's cost effective to them, but I think they would sell MORE 5 string Quantums that way. Think of how many players who were thinking of buying one didn't because of the spacing. And then the only other choice is the Wide-Five which I think hardly anyone goes for. Don't get me wrong, the Quantum has been VERY successful. But at least have a REAL choice. So you wind up in a position where a player may not be happy with either spacing, so they don't buy either one at all. And you really wanted a Modulus. After years and years Zon finally went the 19mm route on two of their models recently. It seems to mean there is a request for them.

16. tyjacks

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    What model ZON has the 19mm spacing? Is it an option or is it standard?

17. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    tyjacks....The two Zon models with standard 19mm spacing are the Sonus Studio 5 and the Sonus 519. They are also 35" scale.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Amen.

19. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You could get the wide 5 and adjust the string spacing at the bridge to 19mm (or 18mm) if you wanted to. It'll leave a bit of "shoulder room" on the fretboard, instead of having the B and G strings right on the edge. That's how my 5 is set up, and I like it because it makes it pretty hard to accidentally pull a string off the side of the fretboard (pretty easy to do if you like to move around a lot). Lots of 5 strings have necks that are about 3.25" at the heel, which is what the Q5 wide/Q6 is.

20. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    tyjacks...That's a possible the solution then. I was thinking of that after I posted. You can adjust the bridge a bit. The problem is, it would be great to be able to try that. But no store will stock a Wide-5. It's a special order. It would be nice to adjust the bridge at the store and see how it feels.