Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Monk-Heads out there?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BigWig Will, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Earlier last night I was studying for my Trig exam. Not exactly in the best mood, so I decided to put in Thelonious Monk's "Monk in Tokyo". Great CD and put me in a really good mood! In my Jazz history class, I was the only person who really liked his stuff, everyone else thought it was kinda weird. But I think "Off Minor" from his album with John Coltrane is one of the funkiest tunes ever!

Anyone else into him?

2. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Monk is by far my fave out of the bop pioneers. Although I love Bird and Diz, Monk was THE one and only who was truly out there(and I mean that in a good way). He was decades ahead of other composers when it came to composition, improvisa-tions, and modern jazz theory. Bud Powell may have been the overall better technical player, but Monk lasts longer. Everyone who played in his groups studied him and what he was thinking. Of all the sax players, however, I think Charlie Rouse complemented him the best, although Coltrane's time with him was brilliant. If you like "Off Minor", then you were probably blown away by their colla-boration on "Trinkle, Tinkle", like I was.
    Have you seen, "Straight No Chaser"? If you haven't, then you need to. It's a fascinating docu-mentary on his life, done by his friends, family, and fellow musicians, with life footage and behind the scenes.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    He could make any piano sound "out of tune". ;)
    Great composer...any genre, any era.

Miles, though, did not like the way Monk comped behind a soloist. To me, that was Miles' problem. ;)

If you really like Monk, check out pianist Herbie Nichols...here's a guy who was every bit as gifted & tragic as Monk.

4. Monk in Tokyo, I think, is his best quartet. It's got Charlie Rouse (you're right, great sax player and really works well with his music) Frankie Dunlop on drums,(probably my new fave drummer) and Butch Warren on bass (does anyone know any other recordings he played on?).

And I like 'Tinkle Tinkle' a lot, it is a great song, but 'Off Minor' just has this really infectious groove that I think only Monk could pull off.

5. And JimK, Thanks for the reccommendation! I'll check it out.

Miles was always an intense person, I could see him and Monk clashing very easily.

6. While you're off checking out Monk and Nichols, do remember to get some Andrew Hill, as well. Hill took much of Monk's approach and applied to it to an avant-garde context, and made some pretty fabulous albums in the process (most notably Point of Departure).

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pete-
    I was gonna mention Hill, too.
    Point Of Departure is a CLASSIC!
    Black Fire is also quite good.

I'm glad I copped Mosaic Records Complete Andrew Hill Blue Note box while it was still available! ;)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Charlie Rouse(RIP) had a post-Monk 4-tet called Sphere(Monk's middle name)...Buster Williams on bass, Ben Riley on cans, & Kenny Barron on piano.
    They were happenin', too!

9. Brilliant Corners w/ Pettiford and Chambers
    Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane w/ Ware
    Plays Duke Ellington w/ Pettiford
    Thelonious Alone in San Francisco
    Live at the It Club

Have to agree with Andrew Hill and will also add Don Pullen.

10. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Gurffpuppy,
    if you like the small intimate Monk sessions, then try his 1954 release, "Monk plays Standards". It's got Pettiford AND Art Blakey. What a knockout CD. I love to hear Blakey break a change-up with his tightly pressed snare rolls.

11. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    I'm sorry, I made a mistake about that Monk CD. It's actually called, "The Unique Thelonious Monk". Just listen for Pettiford's solo on, "Just You, Just Me". Right when he is wrapping it up, Blakey just does one of those inimitable drum press rolls. It is soooooo friggin' cool. The whole album is really a treat. And, it goes to show one how original he truly was.

12. I studied a bit of piano a couple of years ago (mainly to try and improve my reading and fingering chops), and Monk's solo piano CD's on Fantasy and Columbia were and are some of my favorite things to listen to as far as inspiration in that area goes, especially the version of "Ruby My Dear" on Solo Monk.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Shouldn't this be in DB - I've got quite a few recordings of Monk with Double Bass (etc.), but I don't think he ever made a recording with Bass Guitar on it?

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    (sigh)
    No, it belongs here.
    Maybe it's me, though...this about Recordings & music not what kinda ax was played.
    Personally, I like hearing what people are checking out.
    Personally, I think Big Willie gets more responses posting it here.

Agree with Gruffs-
    Don Pullen is great(The Sixth Sense, Capricorn Rising, etc Mingus' Changes 1 and 2...).
    I have been looking for an OOP trio album he did on Blue Note Records with Tony & Gary Peacock...darn, drawing a blank on the title(something about "Secret Agents/Espionage").
    He also has a funky electric album; he's playing a Fender Rhodes...I'm drawing a blank on that title, too!

...it's early here, what can I say?

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe we sould have a combined forum for Recordings and Music?

I just think it's silly when people talk about Mingus, say, under Bass Guitar!! :rolleyes:

I think that given the sheer amount of discussion, we really need a Jazz forum that is not "instrument-specific" !! ;)

16. Bruce... DBer's scare me. They're so BIG and nice looking and the people who play them always have suits, and combed back hair...and moustaches!!

As much as I love the sound of a Double Bass, I just don't know how you guys fit those things underneath your necks.
    :eek:

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The OOP Blue Note album is called New Beginnings...Pullen looks like a secret agent on the cover(I guess?).

The funky album WITH ELECTRIC BASS, Bruce is Tomorrow's Promises...this one can still be had; it's cheap, too!

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    I'm fine with that.
    Mingus played an electric bass...once.

19. Hey thanks for the tip, I will put it on my wish list.

I must say that Monk really was a help for me getting into Jazz.
    Once his choice of notes or "noise" sounded right alot of the music world opened up to my ears.

I also forgot to mention the disk "Thelonious Monk Trio" on my original list.

20. I love Monk...prolly my favorite all time jazz tune is 'Well, You Needn't'.

Live at the It Club, yeah.

Monk's Music...with Blakey!!! I love Blakey!!

Monk's Dream...mmmm.