Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any more acoustic image focus users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Aug 16, 2004.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Any new opinions on the focus? Has it got
    enough power and tone for electric AND
    upright bass? Are these the new "Woods" amps?
    Are they holding up like the woods? 4 lbs. is
    very light. I'm a bit concerned about the
    ruggedness of these amps. Information please!

2. I'll be getting mine within a few days. I'll post a short review.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I thought these amps were getting popular.
    Anyone want to offer opinions or reviews??

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've had a few go throught the shop now... verytime I bought it for myself and someone would talk me out of it.

I love the New Focus, I've owned a few Walter Woods and I think the Walter Woods is a wonderfull amp, but between the two in the 600 watt range, I might have to choose the AI Focus. I really love the clear natural sound of the Focus and the 600 watts is very nice......... great match with a 4 ohm 2 speaker cab setup.

I've had the None Reverb and the reverb. I really dig the Reverb options, AI did a great job with the different Reverb settings.

5. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've had my Focus for about a month now. It's a great sounding amp with plenty of power for electric. The only negative I've found so far is that the Focus does not seem to like John East preamps. I've not been able to get a good sound with my J-Retro equipped Jazz or when using the J-Retro stompbox. On the other hand, I get a great sound with my Bartolini equipped MTD 435.