1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any More Info On Franz Hoffmann (Shar Music) Upright Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Desuh, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Desuh

Desuh

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    Hey y'all!

I just moved out to Michigan and I'm an a dire need for an upright bass around $1500 after shipping/local pickup and I've stumbled across a couple of Franz Hoffmann upright basses, one of the lowest (Amadeus) model for $1000,

Franz Hoffmann® Amadeus Bass Outfit - 3/4 size

and one of the slightly higher (prelude) model for $1300.

Franz Hoffman® Prelude Bass - Instrument Only - 3/4 size

I know that Thompson basses are made in China (which i know isn't always necessarily a bad thing) and set up at SHAR Music in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I've read that the basses may be Christopher brand upright basses with a different label slapped on it. However, I've scoured all over Talkbass and haven't found much other info on them, although all the info I've seen has been positive.

Can anyone offer more insight in grabbing one of these basses or a shop to check for basses in that range? I'd love a $2500 Kay but i just dont have the money for that. Any info is appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. As far as I know, these are not Thompson basses. Thompson is the house brand of the String Emporium. The ones I've seen have been good value for what they are and the setups have been good. Steve is a good guy to deal with, although he can be hard to reach at times.

http://www.stringemporium.com/thompson-upright-plywood-basses.htm

Sorry, I don't know anything about the basses in your links above, but I would recommend the Thompsons from the String Emporium.

Josh Kneisel and Desuh like this.
  3. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    I teach at a community college and get a lot of students who are making the switch to upright from electric and have purchased inexpensive basses. The best I've played are the instruments from the String Emporium and Gollihur; nicely set up, good sounding, and seemingly solid enough to last a while. Great value both IMO.

Mark Gollihur, Josh Kneisel and Desuh like this.
  4. Desuh

Desuh

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    Just making sure, those are the Thompson basses for string emporium and the Estle Louis basses for Gollihur?

5. Desuh

Desuh

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    Also sorry! I didnt notice that I was asking about the wrong brand. Heard of anyone using Franz Hoffmann basses? They're supposed to be like the Christopher brand basses. I'm starting community college and need an upright bass, so you're the perfect person to ask haha.

6. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I have a Thompson from String Emporium they are great instruments for the price. Basically, a Shen knock off that plays better that a Shen. I know nothing about the ones you posted... I would suggest playing one before buying.

Desuh and lurk like this.
  7. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    Yes. From what I've been told, very nice people when you phone, too.

Mark Gollihur, Desuh and Josh Kneisel like this.
  8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    And some are even on Talkbass! :smug:

Josh Kneisel, Desuh and james condino like this.
  9. bradd

bradd

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hoffmanns are not rebranded Christophers, at least not the models I've seen. I would pass on any Hoffmann.

Desuh likes this.
  10. Desuh

Desuh

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm in love with your basses, i just cant afford the shipping right now. I wish you could do payment plans, I'd be all over it haha!