Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any more Operation Ivy fans in here???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 27, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I just think that Op Ivy is the greatest band.i got their "energy" cd for x-mas and i understand why people say their the most influential punk band out there.Any more op ivy fans?my fav songs are jaded,knowledge,take warning,vulnerability,unity,left behind,bankshot and alot more.

2. hey, i got "energy" on vinyl for xmas, so i can get jesse to sign it when common rider comes to my frat house. favorite song: unity.

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    great cd aint it?what does common rider sound like?ive heard alot about em but havent heard em.are they more like skacore or just straight up punk?

4. actually, they've got some heavy reggae influences going on.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    what are some good Common Rider songs to download?

6. signal signal is a good one. very fun bassline, too.

7. I'm a big fan. I even have the shirt. :) Very good band.

8. Are there any more bands similar to them? I like fast ska without horns. Which...probably isn't ska. I think my friend referred to it as 'two tone'

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    um catch 22 is ska punk...but they have horns.some rancid stuff is like op ivy,get the cd "...and out come the wolves" by Rancid that is more ska than punk.

10. check out the impossibles

11. Teen Idols is a good band that is trying to follow SKACORE.

Eh, Jesse recommended them in an interview he did a few years back.

Eh, I really like Operation Ivy (which might explain my AIM name....OpIvyBassist)

You don't get more raw energy than with OpIvy. Its a shame they broke up. I have a bunch of friends who were lucky enough to see em live on a few of their smaller sets, and said that the recordings were NOTHING compared to them live. And I can believe it.

I happen to really like Hobroken and Take Warning (pretty nice bassline, even if its simple.)

Also Healthy Body, Sick Mind.

Oh yea, and that one with Sleep or whatever. Eh, one of my favs. I should go listen to their comp CD I got of em. (has all their songs.)

12. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Even though Rancid is a great band I would have loved to see OPIV carry on. Rancid still quenches a bit of my thirst though because it's the same singer and bassist. But man were they great. Oh, and if your looking into Catch 22 I highly push Keasby Nights. Their newest one is junk in my opinion.
    Laters, Ryan

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah,keasbey nights is the greatest ska cd ever recorded. you cannot complain with that cd.it has everything you'd want in a ska cd.there new cd is OK but not near as good as keasbey nights.its more punk,bad singer,not as peppy.i suggest all of you to get off your butt and go buy keasbey nights.

tim from op ivy and rancid,didnt sing in op ivy.well he did a little bit.back up vocals,and a few songs he does lead.op ivy's lead singer is jesse though,he sounds so much like tim though.

14. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    ah i forgot to say,thats its a shame that op ivy never got a good recording studio.all theyre studio songs sound live.even the remastered versions sounded blurry.too bad.