Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any MTB Single Speeders out there???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by caesarbass, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I know there are alot of you mountain bikers out there, but are there any single speeders out there? My single speed is a 1999 Specialized frame with a Surly Singleator, Marzocchi Z1, Rhino lite hand built wheelset, and Avid Arch Rival brakes. What do you guys have????

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    [​IMG]

A Raleigh I converted via Surly Singulator. I also put one of those dual sprocket rear hubs on it. One is 18T (for hilly trails) and one is 16T (for mostly flat trails). I use a BMX chain so it never snaps even when I'm honking on the pedals and an extra wide handle bar. Of course it has a rigid fork too :)

Oh! Suspension :D
    [​IMG]

3. I raced single-speed mountain bikes in the early 80's. There was NO ONE doing such a foolish thing back then. I thought I was so cool. When dual-slalom racing came out, I tried to enter my SS. NORBA said not having my chain fall off was an 'unfair advantage' and would not allow me to ride this bike('83 Lawwill-Knight Pro Cruiser w/SE Landing Gear fork: the most unforgivingly RIGID bike ever). I hope I don't sound like the crusty old coot that I am- I was not terribly competitive, & MTB races were much like Grateful Dead shows at the time(hint, hint- cough, hack...), Great fun, though. I still have that bike. It's in pieces, but I need to put something together; I just put my Gemini 900 on ebay to help pay for a new bass. :rolleyes: