Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any MTB'rs on TB?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass-shy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    It seems as though many of us have other hobbies besides bass, and I was curious to know how many of you are into mountain biking. Don't get me wrong, playing bass is still my number one way to spend time, but sometimes it feels really good to get out and pound on some back-woods trails. I have been riding trails for longer than I have been playing bass and it is something that I enjoy very much. Anyone else?

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i'm a fat tire junky.

when its not too cold out...

i dont mind it being 105 degrees in the shade but when it drops below 50 degrees, i'm not getting on a bike :D

3. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: MTB'ers unite!!!!! It's my other drug....bass is my first. I live by Laguna Beach and the trails here are OFF THE HOOK!!!!!! I think all of my accidents, teeth missing, stitches, scarring, etc...are bike related, I needed to find something mellow, and along came bass playing.

4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Hell yeah I used to race Downhill about 7 years ago. Now I am a hardcore trail rider. Santa Cruz Bikes Rock!!

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    They are on the same level for me. :) Just got my P.3 ready for the season the other day.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Oh, yeah! I went to Dana Hills High, and before Niguel Road was cut through, I'd drive the gullies and hills in my VW...rode my bike up around Top of the World as well, and over in Laguna Niguel, near the top of Sea Isle??? I think that's where it was...the back side of the hills overlooking South Laguna were good. I wanted to do Santiago Peak, but it was closed off due to fire risk- they weren't letting anyone past the fire station...this was all back in the 80s, even before the Ritz-Carlton was built.

7. Well hopefully after all of these rains are done with we'll have some great trail conditions. I rode all last week and the trails were super TACKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I'm kind of worried about all the snow melting here. Trails are going to be muddy for a while. Hopefully, temps will quickly rise this year.

9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I rent a bike and ride in the Hoosier national forest about 3 times a year. I'm hoping to buy my first bike this week since i'm on spring break. Any suggestions for a good entry level bike new or used in the area of 500-600?

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I was just in So Cal last week with my wife and neither of us could believe the respect and tolerance people have for bikers. (She rides too.) It truly is a beautiful part of the world and I am absolutely going back to check out the trails. Those of you on the west coast and in New England should consider yourselves blessed with the great culture and trails you have at your disposal. The trails in Michigan are usually nasty due to the constant weather changes and there really aren't many technical places to ride. Most days when the weather is great, there are about a million people on the trails and most of them are on horses or are hiking. To give an example of the dismal MTB culture in my area, only three mountain bikes were sold at my LBS last year, and two of them were bought by my riding buddies. Keep the rubber side down.

11. I'm really more of a washed-up never-really-used-to-be since I turned full-time stay-at-home dad, but I occasionally get out on a Specialized Deja Tu off-road tandem with a kit on the rear that sizes it to my 5 yr old son. Before that, I had done a lot of racing(way before it got so serious)w/little success & tons of fun. 5 or 6 Rockhoppers, Whiskeytown, Repack, & a bunch more. I actually raced single speed for 7 years straight, when they didn't even recognize them. Right before & just after my son was born, I got(back, after 20+ yrs)into BMX, but that didn't last. Right now I have a 2003 Cannondale Gemini 900- way too much bike for me. But of course I can't do justice to my 6 string Stambaugh, either!
    paintandsk8, I also have a 2001 Specialized Enduro I would sell for $500. PM me if you're interested.

12. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    You singlespeed and fixed gear riders amaze me. Last year at Iceman in Traverse City, the fastest singlespeeders came in just behind the fastest multis. That's saying a lot considering it's a 28 mile course.

13. It was always cool to pound uphill in a slightly-higher-than-humanly possible gear, passing 'serious cyclists' left & right. Being nuts enough to go faster downhill by just coasting was sweet, too. But I went head-on into a motorcycle about 4 yrs ago(left knee vs lower triple-clamp=partially torn ACL)- no more single-speeds for grampa...
    Like I said, I was never that impressive, at best. There are some insanely fast SS riders these days. Some folks just can't stand chain slap!

14. downhill biking all the way!!!
    i live near vancouver and i go biking at whistler every summer :D

15. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I hope to go there someday.

16. Ive done a bit im more of a roadie and my coaches arnt keen on mtb'ing cus i may break something and be out for a long time (a team without a sprinter isnt a good thing) ,some of the XC trails im wales are great , dont do much of the hardcore jumpy stuff but i used to do ALOT of cyclo cross when i was a bit younger!!

17. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
  18. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one who cheats on my bass with my bike. The two really go well together. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a four inch travel frame that I can build up with V brakes? I love riding my Fuji hardtail, but it gets a little rough on rides over the five hour mark. I want something that climbs well and can handle some moderate drops and jumps. Thanks.

19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I will do minor stuff... I'm not one for going 25mph down a rocky hill with the occasional log to hop over...

But I'll atleast do some moderately hard stuff.

GT-Dyno+Rock Shocks= teh pwn

20. Hey bass-shy, why stick with V-brakes? I thought I was the last hold out for rim brakes 2-3 yrs ago. Discs give such better control & consistency, & will open up a lot more options regarding a new frame.