1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Mushroom Hunters?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rr5025, Aug 16, 2012.

1. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    So after heading up to the mountains this weekend and seeing all the shrooms pop up after all the rains it got me thinking about how I've always wanted to forage for mushrooms. Unfortunately I don't know any experts so I figured I'd ask here.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good field guide?

(For reference I'm in PA).

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I've never done it but I have heard you want something called Psilocybe cubensis. Some say they're really good.

3. Topspin

Topspin What's my name again?

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I played Tom Sawyer with a pick once. Shame on me.
    If you want the LEGAL variety, here ya go-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morel
    We hunt for them every spring, they're ridiculously tasty.
    They should grow in PA, but it might not be the right time of year. It sure isn't in oklahoma. Grass won't grow, let alone mushrooms. :(

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    People fight over them in Washington State. Be careful.

-Mike

5. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Haha while I sure wouldn't mind stumbling upon those I was referring to edible ones, morels and the like (should have been more specific).

6. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I was thinking more of a field book.

7. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Just make sure they bruise blue...

8. Hahaha... agreed! He did say they had to be edible, right? Those are completely safe to eat... in carefully measured volumes... very careful... Just don't dry them or they taste like rotting wood that a cow went #2 on... twice...

In all seriousness, avoid cow pastures. I believe tnat is where the magical ones grow. At least that's what my cousin says. She hunts both, and cow poo typically has a large variety, but the majority are the ones we're all talking about.

Oddly enough we had a pair of morel mushrooms pop up in a rather dry spot in our yard, which is mostly concrete with certain spots landscaped for a garden and a few decorative trees and bushes here and there. I thought it was a very strange place to find them. They were bone dry and dead within 24 hours. Next time I see 'em I'm gonna be all over those suckers!

9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Surely I jest.

10. Love the morels I find here in Indiana.
    People fight over them, and even go as low as to trespass on others properties to get some.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    No comment.

12. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    we look for shantrells in NorCal during the moisture seasons!:hyper:
    YUMMY!!!:)

isn't it weird that almost every edible 'shroom has a poisonous twin?!!

13. ::looks out window at cow pasture::

Naaaaaaaaaaah...

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't know if anybody else clicked that link from Kwesi... but dang that was a fun track. Obviously the Japanese who love to turn on, tune in, and drop out would make a jazz song about hunting mushrooms.

And yea, I know plenty of mushroom hunters... they bring back garbage bags full of them... and they are totally legal... until you dry them, then you might face attempted murder charges in my neck of the woods. Doesn't sound like your after the same type of mushrooms though :D

15. I currently live in the Appalachian Foothills, and we get plenty of mushrooms growing around here. The best places are nearby fallen, rotting trees.

Also, while many people are mentioning the Morels, another good variety is the Chicken mushroom, named because it, well, tastes like chicken.

16. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    'Don't know about fighting, but people around here are very secretive about their mushroom hunting grounds. My favorite guide, and surely one of the best is Mushrooms Demystified by David Aurora. It's very complete, and entertainingly written. There are a ton of other guides out there. Wild 'shrooms are tasty, and it's fun going out and coming home with a big bag of treasure. I'd be surprised if there isn't a local Mycological Society "club" somewhere around where you live. They can help get you started.

17. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Just be careful - eating the wrong kind can be fatal.

18. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    you near Kennett Square?

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Growing up in Russia, we did plenty of mushroom hunting. maybe 3 times a week mushroom hunting, 2 times a week fishing and work on the little farm we had going. Mushrooms were one of our main sources of food in Summer time and we had to get enough of them to pickle them for the winter. Yep, my grandmas house had no running water, no store within 20 miles and only source of food that came from outside the village was a truck that came by every Thursday with bread, canned food and candy and salami.

I miss that life! I really really do.

Unfortunately i have not done any of that here in US. Over there it was a must to eat when i was at my grandmas. I was actually thinking about trying to find some spots for mushrooms in states, but I don't want to be a hippie and unlike back in Russia were you just walk out to the edge of the forest and start looking, you have to go out of your way here to do this.