1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any negative comments on the Bergantino NV610?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Mar 9, 2008.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've been looking to get a Berg NV610 for some time now and have read nothing but glowing reviews on Talkbass among other sites. However, my bandleader last night said he's heard and read negative feedback about these cabinets, particularly that they lack bottom end. Now, I have an Ampeg 810 which I think has plenty of bottom end, and from what I've read is that the Berg has even better low frequency response. Just wondering if anyone here has owned one of these and there was something they didn't like about it.

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    If you don't think your 810E has a lack of bottom, the NV610 certainly won't.

No negative comments from my end.

3. I have a negative comment.....I dont have one yet!

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    The NV is way better than the Ampeg. I've used both with my 1000W head and the NV sounds superb.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I dislike most 10" drivers AND most sealed cabs.... I'd have no problem using an NV610 regularly, they are that good :)

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Heh. I was going to say that the negative for me is its size. But compared to the Ampeg 8x10, I can't think of a negative... except maybe that it's smaller and doesn't look as scary!

7. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    This should be a short thread :D

8. ...maybe you won't get as good of a workout from lifting it?

9. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    What instrument does your band leader play? Most non bassists that I know would not be able to give any opinion about Bergantino gear.... If he is a fellow bassist, I apologize.

10. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    My bandleader doesn't play bass, he's a trumpet player. This is the same guy who kept arguing about how a heavier power amp sounds that much better than a lighter one such as my QSC PLX!

11. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Trumpet player! :eek: I almost spit out my coffee. :D. No offense to trumpet players or to your band leader, but he doesn't know what he's talking about. I've had two Ampeg 810's over the years and have owned the NV610 for about two years now. In fact, I still had my last Ampeg 810E when I bought the Bergantino. I had direct A/B comparisons for about two weeks before I got rid of the Ampeg and believe me it wouldn't have been around two weeks if I could have gotten rid of it sooner. The Bergantino is much more focused across the board. The Ampeg 810E isn't in the same league as the NV610 and I doubt Ampeg would even argue.

12. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    Mabe he's confusing it with that other Bass equipment company that starts with a B, you know Behr-something or other.

13. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    +1

14. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Other than the fact that you'll be sorely tempted to buy a second one, even though you might not actually need it, no.... they are absolutley fantastic products IMHO.

Frosty.

15. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Your band leader is an idiot and is merely proving that point by making statements about something that he has no idea about, obviously.

16. Moreau

Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    Canada
    he's not an idiot. the trumpet hasnt changed too much over the years, so he's prolly not a gear slut like we all are. my old bass teacher thought my berg was some cheap new value brand too. noone outside of our circles is gonna know who jim bergantino is. hes our lil secret, and im kinda glad. the only negative point on the 610 is that i want another one! i think this is the biggest negative you will find. and really its just a positive and we are all smart asses. i had help from some members on picking a rig, and tom bowlus chimed in with some good advice. maybe its just that you trumpet player only knows the big names? did he tell you te get a fender bass too? (prolly already got one lol) dont be a sheep, get the berg.

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Nope. The NV610 outclasses the Ampeg in every possible fashion. The only thing it lacks is the Ampeg badge and the indie rock cred.

Some people might say that the lack of a tweeter is a negative, but I consider it a feature.

18. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Oh, I didn't mention that my bandleader also works at Guitar Center! Of course, he asked if I've checked out Markbass cabinets because they sell those now. I told him I was pretty set on the Bergantino, moreso now after these reponses!

19. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Some people end up discovering that they dont care for the NV Bergantino cabs because the tweeterless sealed cab thing isnt their sound. If you already know that a tweeterless sealed cab is something you like then you will not find better than the Berg NV cabs.

IMO there are a grip of armchair speculators on internet forums like TB that like to say things that cant be backed up with any real experience. I have heard some say that the NV 610 probably lacks low end because the low -3 dB is in the upper 40 Hz range if I recall correctly. That is pure ignorance. :D

20. :eek:

LOL! Get the Bergantino...If you don't like it then get an SVT...

:cool:

Peace,

T