any New Bass players ..... like Brand New

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JahzaratheJewel, Sep 13, 2016.

1. JahzaratheJewel

JahzaratheJewel

Sep 13, 2016
    I am 4 days in and me and the Hal Leonard book have a love love relationship hehehehe

2. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Get you a real book. Practice reading, walking and improvising. That's love. Welcome to bass and the forum. :)

3. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Welcome. I don't know that book (I learned from, then rebelled against Mel Bay). I think the most important thing is to just play A LOT. My favorite drill is to play along with commercials and incidental music while watching TV. It is nice ear training/improv work

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Welcome to talkbass.
    Just remember, a decent bass is important, a good amp is more important, and this just might be as important as both.
    Teach Me Bass Guitar
    Hands down the best bass lesson course available...Roy actually makes lessons fun.
    10 full-length DVDs and 20 lessons...16 hours of bass instruction.
    It's not cheap but you can break it down into 3 payments...make the first payment and they will ship the full package right to you!
    One good thing about this is that you can proceed at your own pace, go back and review the lessons anytime you want, and do it right from the comfort of your own home, and my favorite thing is that after learning each lesson step by step you can put what you've learned right to use...each lesson ends with Roy playing what you've learned with his band and you can play along, then Roy steps out and you can jam with the band by yourself.
    Hey, learning scales is good but nothing is better than applying what you've learned in a real-case scenario

5. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    I smell SPAM...

lermgalieu likes this.
  6. Welcome! I'm a little more than 5 months in, and love it to death! I am taking lessons, and went thru the Mel Bay book with my teacher. Before signing up for lessons, I bought the Hal Leonard book. I still use it to keep up with reading notation. Great book!

Yesterday I changed my bass strings for the first time. Not only did I not render my bass unplayable, it actually sounds better. ;-)

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    288y1py.jpg

BoatyMcBoatface likes this.
  8. That Hal Leonard book is one of the good ones. Keep using it. It's written by Ed Friedland. Ed has a way of putting words together that make since to beginners. Yes that book was written with the beginner in mind. However, two years from now you will still be able to use it as a reference source.

Some more of Ed's books: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_12?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ed+friedland+bass&sprefix=ed+friedland,aps,253

Ed was the first to introduce me to R-3-5-7 (scale degree numbers) which changed my life forever.

Good luck on your journey.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  9. Pudge Fish

Pudge Fish

Aug 6, 2013
    MD
    Gotta recommend Ed's Bass Grooves too.

Rare that an instructional book is fun to read as well as perfect for learning to adapt and improvise. I still use it with FL Mobile on my phone to quickly arrange beats. Learning how to play off of various drum patterns was huge for me.

And WELCOME to TalkBass!

10. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    I have that book, and also the Dan Dean version from the 80's. I'd check out studybass.com as well.

11. I've only had two lessons, and I'd like to make progress but I don't know where to go from where I'm at.

12. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    next step - keep taking lessons.

13. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    What's more important is that your instructor knows where to go from where you're at. No one knows where to go after two lessons of learning how to speak French either.

JimmyM, Remyd and BlueAliceOasis like this.
  14. Don't know what those two lessons taught you. And I do not want to second quess your instructor, but, I do not think the following will hurt and may help. So here is something you can work on to find where the notes are on your fretboard. This is also something you can work on when you are not around your instrument. Helps to have your bass fretboard handy, but, is not necessary as long as you have a picture of the fretboard.
    upload_2016-9-13_22-55-24.png
    You are on the F (D string 3rd fret) where is there another F going toward the bridge?
    Going toward the bridge you will find another F down a string and toward the bridge 5 frets. Yep try that out with the A (G string 2nd fret). Keep going down a string and toward the bridge 5 frets and you end up on the E string 17th fret. Yes it works like that all over your fretboard. Isn't that neat!

• You are on the F (A string 8th fret). Where is there another F going back toward the nut?
    • Up a string and toward the nut 5 frets. Yes, that up or down a string and move five frets works with any note. My memory peg for going up or down is; the nut is a little thing and does not weigh much, the bridge is heavy -- if going toward the nut I go up a string and if going toward the bridge I go down a string.
    • You are on the G (E string 3rd fret) and want to play it's octave. Go up two strings and over two frets.
    • You are back at that F (D string 3rd fret) and you want to play it's octave. Go down two strings and back toward the nut two frets.

You have a song that has the C, F & G chords in it's chord progression (this is also known as the I-IV-V chord progression) Is there a place I can find all three of those chords close together? A string 3rd fret has the C and up a string same fret is the F and the G is down a string same fret. Place the tonic I chord on the 3rd string and this happens all over your fretboard. Check it out - find the D on the 3rd string. I bet there is a G up a string and the A will be down a string. Piece of cake.

5th fret rule
    The A at the 5th fret is the same as the open A string.
    The D at the 5th fret is the same as the open D string.
    The G at the 5th fret is the same as the open G string.

7th fret rule
    E at the 7th fret is the same as the E open string.
    A at the 7th fret is the same as the A open string.
    D at the 7th fret is the same as the D open string.

You are on the C note (4th string 8th fret) where are all of the notes in the C scale?​
    The 2 or D is same string toward the bridge 2 frets.
    The 3 or E is up a string and back a fret.
    The 4 or F is up a string same fret.
    The 5 or G is up a string and toward the bridge two frets.
    The 6 or A is up two strings and back one fret. One string up from the 3.
    The 7 or B is up two strings and toward the bridge one fret.
    The 8 or C's octave is up two strings and toward the bridge two frets.
    That pattern will let you play any major scale, all you have to do is start the name note of the scale on the 4th string then all the other notes of that scale are waiting on you within that pattern. Yes graph it out on paper so it will belong to you. And it is here you need to start your patterns using scale degree number that note occupies in the scale instead of it's note name. Why? Numbers are generic and you can move them any where. A bass line of R-3-5-7 can be used for any maj7 chord. If it was a m7 chord R-b3-5-b7 would be it's generic numbers. Long story don't spend a lot of time on this now. Think in A, B, C's and 1, 2, 3's.

The above works for any major scale. Find the G note on the 3rd string 10th fret. All of G's scale notes are waiting on you - yes the pattern is now on the 3rd string, and the entire pattern still fits. You can place the pattern on the 3 or 4 string. Notice the F# came into the G major scale pattern. Yes the G scale has one sharp note; the F#. All the scale notes fell correctly under your fingers. Works like that all over your fretboard.

If you want to find the notes in the Natural Minor scale do the above but flat (move one fret back) on the 3, 6 & 7 notes. That makes it a Natural Minor scale. In the C minor scale the 3 interval will be an Eb not an E. Those three flatted notes give the scale a minor sound.

Now go get busy playing what if games with the notes on your fretboard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  15. FitzFitz

FitzFitz

Oct 14, 2014
    Fox Valley, WI
    I wish I knew about this site as soon as I started playing. A lot of very useful information and nice people here. Probably could have avoided a mistake or two too.

16. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    The music theory reddit is an extremely good place to ask music theory questions. It's very possible to get confused by lessons if you ask the instructor questions about the foundations of music and they don't answer them.

Basically, the entire system is based on the ratios between fundamental frequencies. It's called a tuning system. It's all rooted in physics and psychology. The tuning system determines the tones you can play on the instrument. Every tone is related to every other tone by this system of ratios. The ratios are given names by a fabricated system of intervals and qualities. Every interval quality pair is a certain number of tones from a reference tone of your choosing (The Root). In the Western Music System, the tones are called semi-tones, or half-tones. A pair of adjacent semi-tones is called a Whole Tone. On a fretted guitar, tuned for the Western Music System, the semi-tones are marked by the frets. On a piano, it's done by the keys. The intervals are used to create chords and scales. For example, on a guitar tuned to 12-Tone Equal Temperament in the Western Music System (almost all Classical, Jazz, Blues, Rock, etc.), a major triad consists of a root (a fret or key that you choose), major third (4 semitones from the root), and a perfect fifth (7 semi-tones from the root). A major scale consists of a root (tone of your choosing), major second (2 semi-tones), major third (4 semi-tones), perfect fourth (5 semi-tones), perfect fifth (7 semi-tones), major sixth (9 semi-tones), major seventh (11 semi-tones) and octave (12 semi-tones) intervals. Scales can also be described as a sequence of tones. For example, the major scale can be described as whole tone, whole tone, half tone, whole tone, whole tone, whole tone, half tone. The two descriptions correlate. None of these funny words or phrases have any real meaning. They comes from a time when people thought there was a system, to be discovered, for playing the music that would appease gods (or at least axe murderers). Today, it simply serves as a means to organize tones. Wikipedia has some nice explanations of all of this.

But! That's not how one writes music for the purpose of recording music on paper. For that, notation is used and that is what the vast majority of "guitar" lessons focus on. Notation is just a bunch of letters and funny squiggles that are correlated with the tones and intervals. There is no meaning behind it. It's just symbols. Notation narrows down what specific keys to press or strings to pluck or holes to blow to play an instrument. It doesn't tell you exactly which one to play on the instrument if there are duplicates (unisons and octaves), otherwise it tells you exactly which ones to play because there is no other choice. Tablature tells you exactly which frets and strings to play on a guitar type instrument. It doesn't always describe the song's rhythm.

In the Western Music System, all the tones are a whole tone apart except for the pair B and C and the pair E and F. B and C are a semi-tone apart, which means that they are right next to each other on a fret board. E and F are a semi-tone apart. In the same way that intervals have qualities, notes have qualities. The default quality is natural. Sharp is one semi-tone higher in pitch than natural. Flat is one semitone lower in pitch than natural. Sharps can be stacked to get higher pitches, and flats stacked for lower pitches. But, there isn't a lot of use for that because all the notes are only 1 or 2 semi-tones apart. You end up with more than one name or symbol for the same semi-tone (called enharmonic). For example, A sharp and B flat are the same semi-tone in the Western Music System. B flat flat is A. A sharp sharp is B. B sharp is C. C flat is B.

Because of how guitars are constructed, chords, scales, and intervals form patterns for your fingers that can be played exactly the same all over the neck. The patterns are said to be movable. For example, you play a B major chord exactly the same way as a C major chord, or any other major chord on a guitar of any type tuned the same way. The difference is that you simply play the pattern starting from a different fret as indicated by the note the chord is named after. The G major chord has first note G (the root), second note B (the major third from G), and third note D (the perfect fifth from G). You could play that on a 4 string bass guitar in E standard tuning (every string is tuned at 4th intervals: E A D G, lowest pitched string to highest pitched string) by plucking the G note on the D string 5th fret, B note on the G string 4th fret, D note on the G string 7th fret. G sharp major would be the same pattern moved one semi-tone higher in pitch. G sharp note on the D string 6th fret, C note on the G string 5th fret, D sharp note on the G string 8th fret.

In contrast, movable patterns are limited on piano because of B,C and E,F. I guess that's one reason why people say that guitar is easy.

The challenges are:
    1) Play exactly what tones you hear instantaneously.
    2) Play exactly what funny squiggles you read instantaneously.
    3) Play exactly what alphabet soup you are told instantaneously.

If you search these terms in wikipedia, it will all start to fall into place. The material on tuning can be full of arithmetic and numbers and it only matters if you are going to make an instrument or really need to know the differences between tuning systems so that you choose the right instrument for your needs. Practically every guitar today is tuned using 12-tone Equal Temperament in the Chromatic Scale in the Western Music System and it's been like that for a very long time. The important thing to understand is the correlation between semi-tones and intervals and notes. It's what forms the patterns that make it easier to internalize all this gibberish.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  17. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    ...and most important of all (and is always overlooked) .....is good technique.

OP; Welcome to the low end. :bassist: I just want to draw your attention, at this early stage of your learning journey, to the importance of developing a good and safe
    technique. This will pay dividends, both in the playing itself, as well as avoiding potential injury problems at a later time.

Search You Tube for ..."Safe right (and left) hand bass technique".

Best of luck with your new found love. ;)

ThePresident777 and jd56hawk like this.
  18. welcome aboard! just have fun my man,,,,, life is short

ihixulu likes this.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to Talk Bass!

I got about 6 weeks to become a bass player when I started. My band director pointed to a new Fender P bass and amp over in the corner and said "Jazz band starts in 6 weeks. Take that home and learn how to play it."

That was nineteen eighty something....

comatosedragon and matante like this.
  20. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Learn the names of the notes on the fretboard and learn how to play one or two simple songs you like ;)

matante likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021