Any new genres of music emerging?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IconBasser, May 8, 2012.

1. hey guys, I'm finally starting to get a bit tired of kicking the same old playlist around, and I'm now on the hunt for shiny new stuff.

What bands have you heard that are relatively young (let's say... 5 years or less since their start) that made you stop and think "wow, I've never heard anything like that before"? Vocals, non-vocals, heavy, soft, I don't care, chuck em' my way!
  2. pokol

Mar 22, 2012
    Nothing worse than a stale playlist.

Check out Punch in some bands you like and it spits out a radio type playlist of suggestions. It's what I've been listening too lately at work.
  3. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Three Trapped Tigers - Guitar, Keys, Drums... Post-rock / post-electronica / math-rock, I dunno what it is exactly, but I dig it.

4. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Prog pop?

No new genre can be completely without influences, but this doesn't sound too much like anything else.
  5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Defying genres-

Tune-yards -
  6. Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    A band that mixes a bunch genres in a cool mix for me would be Surfer Blood. I suppose they are lumped in with the whole Chill Wave thing but I thing they write some pretty awesome songs.

7. wow, lots of suggestions, awesome, keep em' coming! I really liked "Three Trapped Tigers", interesting fusion of sounds.

oh, and grindcore is hardly new :meh: (scuse' me while I go dust off my pig destroyer records)
  8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
    A lot of people who aren't into dubstep are beginning to dig it because of Savant's take on it. I'm not the biggest fan, but you asked for something new:

9. Foster The People sounds fresh, just listen to all the other tracks than Pumped Up Kicks -- kind of a pop-version of Radiohead.
  10. Awesome on tUnE-YaRdS being in this thread. Honestly the last record I remember saying "I've never heard anything like this" was the electronic artist known as Burial and his debut LP. He literally created the "dubstep" genre, although it became so diluted into the mainstream that his album sounds nothing like what everyone else would call "dubstep".

There are a lot of bands out there (really guitar based rock/pop music) that are nothing different really in a genre, but are good respectable bands. I think Radiohead going with sampling and looping their own "analogue" instruments is really showing that electronic music and manipulation might be where our new genres/styles/aesthetics will be coming from.
  11. powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    I still prefer the 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s. I've not been to tickled about recent stuff. Not saying it isn't good, I just don't really like it. Maybe Im just old. Hell, my grandpa didn't like the Beatles. Its generational I guess.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, while your at check out the black keys, they are totally fresh too... :eyebrow:

You have to get pretty avant-garde to really be something totally different at this point, it is not new but go check out some Diamanda Galas or Morphine, I like My Bloody Valentine's Loveless record, but that is from the early 90's, still haven't heard much like it.
  13. You could always invent a new style, so easy nowadays, like me inventing Tribal Techno last night after a one-hour session in the studio:

14. FreshTrooperXBL

Jul 24, 2011
    Yes I forget the name of album but she and JPJ did a collaboration that really rocks (in a very strange way).

I hate dubstep, but love Pinn Panelle. There CD is really good too.
  15. gadela

Apr 6, 2012
    i've always thought that Shawn Harris (former lead singer of the Matches) was a brilliant mind.

his new band, Maniac, is making some really good original tunes. I love that their songs really don't follow a precedent..

i really enjoyed TuneYards and Three Trapped Tigers as well. surfer blood too!

so original and refreshing.
  16. Ottsworth

Dec 14, 2010
    London, UK
    +1 Pinn Panelle are rather good, not really my thing, but I can appreciate their talent and ideas.

Being a teenager at the moment, I don't think that there is that much good stuff about at the moment IMO in the semi-mainstream/niche areas at least, I don't get the opportunity to go and see fresh bands much so I'm not sure about any hidden underground gems.

I spend most of my time doing exams/work whilst listening to black metal or Mr Bungle demos... :D
  17. Syxz_ML

Apr 10, 2012
    Los Angeles
    :eyebrow: Crazy Japs lol
  18. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    A few trends I've noticed:

- horrible sounding squarewave bass (dub step?) example
    - 8-string guitars or otherwise tuned to F#, F, octave E (with bassist following the trend and having to buy .165 strings now etc); an imaginary genre called "djent" which is really just prog metal example
    - the previous two styles combined example
    - more use of "glitch" beats example
    - doomy/stoner rock genres seem to be going steady example
    - kids at home writing metal on their computers/software and never playing with actual humans example

- these guys are kind of current doing darker sounding jazzy stuff influenced by techy metal. more jazzy than metal T.R.A.M. (IMO gets cool around 3:00)
    - this is a kind of cool fusion of something. trioscapes
  19. powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    I turn on the radio,and all I notice is auto-tune, electro beats, and inane lyrics....