Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any New Heads From $350-500???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Right now I have a peavey combo 115 and a ampeg bse410hlf, running at 300w at 2 ohms. I would like to get a head that has more tone options, and at least the same amount of power. I liked the swr bass 350, but it is a bit out of my range. I play a MIA P-bass, and am planning on trading my combo 115, even though it isn't worth a lot. Any suggestions would be helpful. If not I will probably buy a Peavey Nitro bass, because it is soooo cheap and has more power that anything in its price range.

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    You might want to try looking for a used SWR or Ampeg head,such as the SM-400 or 400S by SWR.It's got more EQ options than you'll probably ever need and 400 watts into 8 ohms or 500 into 4.I found one that had always lived in a rack in mint condition for $480.You can find good deals on Ampeg stuff,too.Check out: http://www.harmonycentral.com

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If you shop hard, the Firebass can be had (new) for not much over $500, in fact, I think you can get one from Guitar Trader http://www.guitartrader.com for like $499.99. I think that's right, because they told me $499.99 for the Nitro and $350 for the Firebass, but I'm pretty sure they got it backwards. ;)

Zzounds (and probably anyone else) has the Hartke 4000 for $459 or so. It doesn't do two ohms, but it will give you 400 watts at 4.

Musicians' Enemy sells the Ampeg B-2R for $559, just a little out of the range you mentioned.

I haven't owned any of these. Just mentioning heads that more or less fit your criteria.

4. At my nearest peavey dealer, the price for a firebass is 525 and the nitro was 370. Even my teacher, who has all kinds of swr and ampeg stuff said that the firebass is the best amp for that price that you can get new. My teacher should know, since he taught p-nut from 3-11.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'know, Jim, the best players aren't necessarily the best gear heads. And vice-versa.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you can squeek out another $25 the Ampeg B2 is $525 at musicians friend and Mars. 200 watts into 8 ohms 350 watts into 4 ohms.

7. Don't waste your money on new gear in this price range. For $500, I got a used Eden WT-300, and I've seen SWR Bass 350 heads for $400.

8. You should be able to get a brand new Hartke HA3500 for less than $400.00. 350 watts into 4 ohms.

[Edited by Matthew West on 12-04-2000 at 01:56 PM]

9. I was wondering what everyone thought of the ampeg b2r?

10. the b2r's not a bad piece of kit, although i feel its' a little underpowered (well, for me). depends on the size of the gig, etc.

it is reliable, sounds really good, (supposedly) puts out 350w into 4ohms (200w into 8), and is reasonably small and lightweight. it still sounds like an ampeg!

11. danhei

danhei

Jan 21, 2000
    If you're on a budget, the Firebass is going to have the most watts for the money. I use one and it sounds really good. Maybe not SWR/Eden/high end great but still very nice. When I bought it I had to choose between the Firebass new or an SWR 350 used. My band was very loud so I went with the Peavey.

Dan

PS Here's one on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=520406225