Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any new ideas for a bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassapprentice, Apr 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassapprentice

bassapprentice

Apr 15, 2001
    PA
    hey out there...im still looking for a new bass guitar and havent really found much...plus havent been able to get anywhere...i still really would like a Fender standard J bass, im thinking of an Ibanez SR300/400...and a new one that i'm looking at is a schecter deluxe-4 or a schecter custom-4....i would like to hear what you recommend and if you recommend any other basses...i'd like to keep the price to under 450, thanks!

2. I'd go for the Ibanez or you could try a Carvin. They are both really good for the money.

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Ibanez SR640. It's $599 but really worth it. In my opinion. And it's shiny :)

4. rubber chicken

rubber chicken Guest

Apr 7, 2001
    colorado
    washburns have worked fine for me, but then again, I'm not one of those serious "gotta have top of the line everything" bassists. Some people...

Boy, I'm probably gonna get some guff for that.

5. All the basses mentioned are beginner basses, except carvin. If I had the chance to start everything again, Id get a Fender from the get go, youll prob end up getting a couple anyway. If you look, you can prob find a nice american P or J for $450, I got my P for $400 with a case, look around, deals can be had.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

7. Please for the love of God (or Satan) do NOT buy a Fender P-Bass. Get a Carvin and save you the trouble of getting a cheaply made Fender bass from Mexico. Carvin basses that range in the $450 price range come with quality woods AND ACTIVE ELECTRONICS. Very important in getting a good sound.

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I also hate cheap P-Basses, but Active electronics dont mean getting a good sound.
    In fact there are many HIGH-END passive basses that sound great.

9. I have yet to find a passive bass that I truly enjoyed listening to. I also love to mess with the knobs constantly when I'm playing live and active basses give me the best control.

This is my opinion, but just look at all of the great bassists with Active basses and take it from there.

*Note: some active basses make a lot of noise, but this shouldn't be a problem if you're playing at low gain volume levels.

10. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    My washburn is for sale.(Rb-2000)

11. You may have a hard time trying out a Carvin, being that you can only order them direct on their site. I heard somewhere that only some southern Californian stores carry them...

12. A lot of great bassists use, and used, passive basses. Jaco, James Jamerson, Joe Osborn, Jeff Berlin, etc. Active basses are fine, too.. it's all up to what you want. But, for the 100th time (and this is not directed at anyone in particular), it's ultimately in your hands. And if it ain't there, no preamp will get it for you.

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I don't think you are going to find any good active basses in that pricerange :cool:

Perhaps an used MIA Fender.

14. ACTIVE = GOOD

PASSIVE = BAD

I go to Berklee I know these things......j/k

I really do go to Berklee though

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    active = good
    passive=bad

stronzate

this is the biggest bull**** i have ever seen.
    make yourself a favour and try a good passive bass, you'll regret of this equation.
    try a fender jazz, a fender precision, a rickenbacker, a reverend rumblefish a gibson tbird. then we'll speak again about this.
    active and passive are simply different and i suggest to use both.

16. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

I may not go to Berklee, but I know enough to know that a passive 1962 Fender Jazz blows away the tone of an active Ibanez SR400. No contest. Not even close.

Matter of fact, good mid-priced passives almost always sound better than cheap and even most mid-priced actives.

I love good active basses, I own two of them. But I also love the old school passive sound of my Jazz or a good old P bass.

My active basses aren't better, they are just <font color=red>different</font>.

<marquee>:D :D :D :D</marquee>

18. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Good! How did you get into ?
    I wish I had that kind of oportunity...

Well, My Uncle´s Fodera is PASSIVE and has an incredible tone.
    Wanna see it? www.fodera.com , go to the Gallery, it is the Edward Model.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice bass, Luis! Has he let you play it?

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It's all in the ears of the belistener.

oh, one more thing.

feh.

Will C.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.