1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any new lightweight bass combo's with 250+ watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by don21480, Sep 26, 2020.

1. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    How I wish that my Markbass Minimark had enough power to be my gigging amp! Still looking for a combo amp thats lightweight (under 30#), easy to carry and has about 250 watts. Is there anything new on the market I might have missed? The Minimark is awesome being vertical and not awkwardly shaped for carrying but not quite enough power for those gigs that have a drummer, 2 electric guitars and keyboards but aren't at a venue with house sound1

2. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    What size speaker(s) are you after? The Markbass CMD 121P is under 30 lbs., 300W @ 8 ohm to the 12 (and 500W @ 4 ohm with an extension cab) and about the loudest 1x12 you'll ever play thru. It will do fine holding it's own in most full bands in a small room without PA support. But no <30 lb. combo is going to be able to cover all gigs, indoor and outdoor, without an extension cab or PA support, or both (unless you are a very quiet jazz band or similar).

oren and obimark like this.
  3. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    @The Bass Clef - I prefer a vertical 2x?? arrangement. I used to have the CMD121P back in the day but found that I like having 2 speakers (1 on top of the other) so everything isn't down at floor level. 250 watts rms is adequate for all gigs I do without PA support. Ideally I love the the Markbass minimark with a 2x8 configuration but it is only 150 watts rms without an extension cabinet and one of the goals for me is to not need a 2nd cabinet.

4. I would look for a 12” combo that has the ability to run an extension cab to go under. Off the top of my head, the GK MB112 can be combined with an MBP112 for a total of 400 watts, although the extension cab can be hard to find. There are others I’m sure. You’re paying more by getting a combo and an extension cab, but 2x12 is a powerful setup and you have the ability to just carry the 12” combo if needed.

5. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Well the MB Ninja 102-500 is a vertical 2x10 and 300/500W at 36 lbs. That’s probably as close as you’re going to get.

jeff7bass and don21480 like this.
  6. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
  7. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    @The Bass Clef yeah - wish I could play one locally - most MB stuff I really like but the artist designed amps from Markbass are usually a specific sound for a jazz or super soloist type of bass player rather than a guy like me who just wants some low end tones to hold down a groove but its certainly one I have my eye on!

8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I picked up a mint Hartke KB12 "kickback" combo earlier in the year for $340. I have had exactly one gig since then to try it out - an outdoor set with only a vocal PA. It says "500 watt" on the front of the amp, but this is peak not RMS. It's really 250, which is of course all anyone would need for single 12" speaker.

Lesson one: Be prepared to EQ for that half-aluminum cone. It's pretty bright.

Lesson two: Dang, this thing really performs. I'm sure it helped that I am running a HPF on my board full-time, but this thing got surprisingly loud.

Lesson three: I was skeptical at first, but the "kickback" position is really great. I could hear myself spectacularly well, but I was still loud out front, too.

The connection from the amplifier to the speaker is exposed in the back so you can unplug the speaker. Nothing would prevent you from plugging in a different cab, but you'd want it to be 4 Ohm to get all 250 watts out of it. And you couldn't sneaky plug in an external 8 Ohm cab and then chain it back into the Hartke 12, because the internal speaker is of course 4 Ohm and the amp won't do anything below 4 Ohms.

Best part of all: It weighs just over 28 pounds, an easy one hand carry.

9. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    shoot-r, mikewalker and don21480 like this.
  10. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    @nonohmic a friend has one of those and really likes it - I'm hoping to check it out with my bass soon. Seems near perfect for all types of gigs!

nonohmic likes this.
  11. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Fender Rumble 500 combo.

350 watts to 2 10” speakers with an extension out to make 500 full watts.

Weight is around 36 lbs I believe and has a street price of $599.

Just bought and gigged one. Amazing amp for its size, weight, tone, volume, and portability

12. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I recall a gig (where i was on keys) and our bass player was using that exact rumble 2x10 amp. The sound guys took him out of the foh and eventually came up to the stage to ask him to turn it down. This was a full on 90s rock/classic rock gig at a (estimating) 150 person capacity venue.
    So yeah it'll do the job! I never liked the sound of the rumble 15 combo though.

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  13. I can second the Rumble 500. Tons of headroom and very light, though I will say that it's still annoying to carry long distances. There's a club I play at where I often have to park a block or two away and the cab knocks into my leg the entire time, but it beats dealing with my old 410.

FronTowardEnemy likes this.
  14. To be fair, is there any bass amp that small that sounds good? I haven't ever come across one.

bhendrix likes this.
  15. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    The Rumbles are pretty available at GC in my area so those and the Hartke at Sam Ash I can test out with my bass.

16. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Rumble 15? You mean the 15 watt, 1x8" speaker combo that you can buy new for $80?

No combo amp can faithfully reproduce the sound of an electric bass guitar with a single 8" speaker. Not at any volume. It just isn't going to. A well built 10" speaker, maybe. Maybe at low volumes. And I maintain you can't really gig anything with less than a 12" speaker

Bassdirty likes this.
  17. don21480

don21480

Mar 17, 2006
    NC
    @scottfeldstein I'll respectfully disagree with you on the speaker size - it depends on how many speakers - my Markbass 210 cabinet is a gigging workhorse and I'm sure there are other examples

18. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    You misunderstand me, I think. I'm talking about a single speaker. Sure, I once used a GK 210 as my go-to bass rig for a couple of years back in the day.

don21480 likes this.
  19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
  20. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    This is the Eden TN-2251, which is a 112 combo with horn tweeter. The amp is the TN-226 which is a class D 225-watt amp. I have that amp myself and use it with my Eden EX-112 cab. The cab on this combo is the next step up above my EX cab. It works great for small venues and the combo weighs 31.7-bs, so it's close to what you're looking for but not sure it would handle medium-size clubs. I've only used my 112 cab with that amp at small clubs - and it sounded great. This should sound a little better with the separate tweeter horn. Street price is $599.99

b636ecda-8be9-47e2-b705-beb528e8d55a.jpg

If you can handle the extra pounds the Eden TN-2252 would be more flexible. It's the same amp but with a 210 cabinet. It weighs 50-lbs. It should cover small and medium clubs just fine. Street price is $749.99
    l4mj7k5svdrq1gavlavj.jpg

dbsfgyd1 likes this.