1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ANY NEW RICK MODELS COMING OUT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Presto2112, Jan 22, 2012.

1. anyone know if rickenbacker is releasing any new models? Or reissues? I started playing bass after the 4004's and 5 strings were discontinued:meh:

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    The 4004 is not discontinued.

If you are waiting for Rickenbacker to make a 5 string bass then be prepared to wait many years ... and even then it may not happen.

Rickenbackers idea of innovation is to introduce a new color.

3. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Truth. :meh:

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yes they are. They are just finishing up the redesigned bridges first.

5. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    :meh:
    Umm, no.

Worse yet; I checked *every* 4003 they had on display at NAMM and all of them had tail lift.:rollno:

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Yes they are what?

John Hall redesigned a 4003 bridge years ago (according to him) but it never got released ... Rickenbackers have had tailpiece pullup for over 40 years and they still haven't released a new one to replace the old one.

The last time Rickenbacker came out with a new model was the ill fated 4004cii5. A 5 string bass with a neck that was too wide and pickups that were too narrow.

Rickenbacker makes their money from being retro and not from being innovative.

There was a previous era for the company ... in the 90s they came out with the 4004. In the 80s they came out with the 4003s5, 4003s8, and the 2000 series. In the 70s they came out with the 4002.

The V and C series basses were simply 4003s basses made to look like old McCartney basses.

When it comes to bass their money maker is the 4003.

7. Where can I get a 4004? I don't see them when I search them.

8. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    When are they bringing back the Blueburst?

9. hopefully soon!!:D i want one

10. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Both the Music Zoo and Willcutt Guitars carry Rics, and they both have Mapleglo 4004L basses in stock. To order a new 4004Cii or 4004L from Ric means a wait-time of about one year. Both models are closely priced, so I would go for the 4004Cii with its figured woods - I love mine..

IMG_0288.
    IMG_0286.
    IMG_0283.

11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Most likely never - blueburst was a "Color of the Year", and Ric has mentioned that colors from the color of the year editions will probably never be reissued.

12. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Which explains why used ones are so pricey. Too bad, though. For that kind of money I would go for a Ken Smith or a USA Spector first.

13. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    That is beautiful.

14. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    #1, Love that crazy quilting,especially on the 2 piece neck.

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

I called them last year as I wanted to order a Mapleglo 4003FL to match my new fretted MG 4003. It was in their current catalog and I was willing to wait.

They told me that just because it is in their catalog doesn't mean they will make it. I asked when they would start making fretless basses as I really want to order one... they actually said "when we feel like it".

I immediately returned my new 4003 and washed my hands of the brand.

Not bashing RIC as I love their basses, but the guys running the company can be complete clowns.

Just IME....

P.S. That 4004Cii is killer!

16. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Wait... so you called Ric and didn't get the answer you wanted, so you threw a tantrum and returned a brand new bass to them for no other reason than spite? And you've washed your hands of the brand, but you love their basses??

Huh....????? :confused::eyebrow::rollno:

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Nope. I returned a bass I just bought as the employee representing their company I spoke to was a complete goof. Not a tantrum in any way. There is a way to be accomodating when speaking to customers, I didn't get this from RIC in any way.

If I called Ernie Ball, Fender, Sadowsky or any other company and was treated that poorly, I would not give them my hard earned $$$ either.

RIC makes very nice basses.... so do dozens of other manufacturers.

18. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I see where he's coming from. I don't openly bash Ric's and I love their sound and their look, but I washed my hands as well after seeing the QC standards they have for brand new $1900 instruments (this is circa 2011). Sure, they'll take it back / fix it for you, but it shouldnt have gotten to you in that state in the first place, especially when people order online these days, they KNOW what they want, and their product comes straight from the factory with glaring issues.

And when "staying with tradition" means not addressing faulty designs, such as the cheap plastic pickup cover thats also a real dog to remove, and the ever-constant tail-lift issues.

19. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    The QC on mine (2012 4003) is perfect (better than any Fender I have ever owned). I have not experienced any issues with tail lift either. The pickup cover took me all of about 10 minutes to take off. YMMV.