any new techniques

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Mar 7, 2001.

1. i play:
    finger style(all five fingers)
    strum chords

anyone know any differant techniques to get some differant sounds?
  2. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    It is a cross between finger style and strumming with a pick for chords, it is similar to what guitar players call hybrid picking. I will strum a chord with the fleshy part of my ring finger and "pluck" individual notes with my thumb and index finger, it creates a cool affect and it doesn't get the "fake" bass sound like a pick will.
  3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    ever heard of the houm papa?
    I have no idea how to write that...
    it's a thecnique Abraham Laboriel worked out.
    He talk about it in an old bass player issue, or you might be able to see him doing a clinic. It's quite hard to explain.
  4. hey nate like yvon said Abraham Laboriel.
    if you can find his tape beginning funk bass and have a little cash i would pick that up. he doesn't necessarily show you how to do the things he does but its a good tape and with some practice its pretty easy to pick up most of it. lots of right hand screen shots.
    he also has another tape i forget the name but its a little much for me. real long and it wears you out just watching it.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Nate O jt, you mentioned things you do with your hands. But how about trying some electronic tricks, such as using a wah pedal, a volume pedal, distortion, chorus, etc. or any one of various "effects" to add a new dimension to your sound?

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ever try slide bass??? I have. The glass slides/Coricidin bottles guitarists use don't sound too hot, but a piece of copper tubing sounds okay with flatwounds.
  7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    how about false harmonics.
  8. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Eh, Phat,

Don't want to sound annoying at all, but it is spelled: Nietzsche.

Gawd, I'm annoying.

Oh, by the way:
    If you play fretless, you can try to slide your harmonics. That's cool.
    Too bad I can't use all these techniques in real life, without a guitarist asking me to stop f*cking around and play what I should play.
    Which isn't much.
  9. slide bass with distortion sounds great (as used by Morphine's Mark Sandman)- I'm using a steel slide, and I can get a surprisingly good version of the slide guitar in Pink Floyd's "One Of These Days" (the regular bass line slapped with delay from my Zoom 506 sounds good too:)).
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Nate O jt, in General Instruction, there is a current thread by Patrick Roberts called " Bass Chords." It even has a response by our esteemed Michael Dimin. The technique of playing chords, not arpeggiated, but several notes at a time would be one you don't mention having explored. It might open up an entirely new dimension to your playing. Just a thought. Anyway, check it out if you are interested.